Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Writing for genealogy magazines

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 18 Oct 2008 11:13

Has anyone here ever written an article which has been accepted by a genealogy magazine?

How did you go about it and can you offer any tips or recommend a book/website? Thanks.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 18 Oct 2008 11:33

Probably you can search for the magazines available on line, most of them have a readers story section.

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 18 Oct 2008 11:40

I have wirtten a lot of stories - I have had a couple published, but mostly wrote them for my family to understand the research I had done and how a particular ancestor belonged to our tree.

Read some of the stories already published - www.familytreeforuim.com has an online magazine where you can read readers stories, there's all sorts of styles and stories.

I started off by writing about my great-grandparents, for my parents, and just telling the story of their life. I tried to include a little bit of local or world history to give a time frame, but it wasn't always necessary.

Just write as if you are speaking, telling a story, then go back and edit for grammar, spelling etc. Have someone else read it for errors etc, then read it again yourself. Edit and re-edit, until you are happy with what you have written.

Diane

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 18 Oct 2008 11:48

I have written a couple of articles for FHS Magazines, which I subscribe to,and they are always pleased to have these articles.

They edit them to fit in the page,and check facts.

Mo

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 18 Oct 2008 11:56

Is it the writer's or the magazine's responsibility to sort out issues to do with copyright? For example if you want to include a section of a census image or certificate?

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 18 Oct 2008 11:58

One FHS Mag I had to sign a copyright form from them, but the other Mag I did not.

Mo

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Oct 2008 16:58

I wrote something that was published in Practical family history. often they ask for articles.

Ann
glos