Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 18 Oct 2008 20:29

I might be doing something wrong. A few years ago I found the Bennett family in Shepshed in the (for example) 1851 and 1861 Censuses. When I tried to find them on this site I could not find any hits. In fact, I could not find one Bennett in Shepshed at all. Are all the census returns included for each of the census years? If so then I am obviously doing something wrong although I have found other names in various census years. Could anyone put me right?

Camille

Camille Report 18 Oct 2008 20:33

John have you looked on Ancestry ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Oct 2008 23:58

John

Using the censuses and other documents on this site is the most expensive way to do your research .... as it is all pay per view or "gold" plated membership.

Potty

Potty Report 19 Oct 2008 11:58

Jim

With Gold membership on this site, can you view census images?

John

John Report 19 Oct 2008 13:57

I haven't lost interest, quite the reverse, I have been very interested in the discussion. I cannot remember being diverted to other sites on GR -- how does that happen and what are these other, presumably, free sites?

Heather

Heather Report 19 Oct 2008 17:00

There are lots of sites - freebmd.org is one we use a lot for births, deaths and marriage refs. Theres familysearch.org, freereg - and just google anything and everything, normally gets you good info.

If you are buying credits on here it is the most expensive way to check census. Get a free 14 day trial with ancestry.co.uk

John

John Report 19 Oct 2008 18:00

Sheepshed is the old Shepshed spelling. The original problem is that I cannot find any Bennetts in Shepshed (or Sheepshed) for 1851 or 1861 yet I know there were several families of that name.