Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Credit Crunch & Family Trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 19 Oct 2008 12:46

I have been researching my tree for sometime now, and apart from this site and Ancestry I cannot justify spending money that I don't have, to pay for certificates. (I'm sure that I am not the only one)

Can anyone please give me any tips or advice on how I can certify any information that I have so that I don't have to purchase certificates?

I'm sure that there must be a way? I'm constantly being told that access is available to everything on the internet, but I think I must have a squashed nose now, for every brick wall that I have hit!

Thanking you
x

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 19 Oct 2008 12:49

If you make contact with other people sharing your ancestors they may be willing to share copies of what they have - or share the costs.

If you get your family interested that might help.

There are certificate sharing sites - BDMshare I think is one where people post the info from their certs so that others can read the info.

Some parish records are on line so depending on which bits of the country you are researching you might save some money that way.

Ask for money for Christmas and birthday pressies and use it to buy the odd cert that you do need.

Jill

Penny Eves

Penny Eves Report 19 Oct 2008 13:02

Hi Joanne ...

My ancestry subscription is a recurring Christmas present. I've also had various CD-roms of parish registers etc. as presents over the years.

Don't forget that the IGI is a free database, as is FreeREG and FreeCEN (coverage varies).

Virtually all the birth/marriage/death registrations up to 1909 are now available - free - on the FreeBMD website. (You could find registrations and then ask for lookups in PRs.)

Google any parishes that you're interested in - it's amazing what is on line and can be found (eg. good websites for Hampshire and East of London).

If your research is concentrated in one particular area, join that FHS or the mailing list or messageboard for that particular county. There are also mailing lists/messageboards for most surnames.

Use the "Surname Interests" websites for specific counties to make contact with others researching your names.

Most counties have a "Look Up Exchange" (Google that + name of county) where people will do look ups free for you.

Search around - I do lookups from parish registers for one specific district, but I only publicise it on that county's messageboard (not on a general one like GR).

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Penny