Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just on the news here - passenger lists

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 20 Oct 2008 13:52

There's just been something on the news about Ancestry adding new passenger lists or something - a few more details on the ITV website here. Might be some help to someone.

http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Online-ancestry-list-revealed-867465868.html

Elaine

Elaine Report 20 Oct 2008 13:54

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1518&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

Kate

Kate Report 20 Oct 2008 14:06

Thanks, Elaine - took me a bit of searching to find that one!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Oct 2008 20:30

Many thanks for alerting us.
Just found OH's long lost grandfather !

Now to track him after that.........

Gwyn

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Oct 2008 22:40

Nudging for the evening shift, thanks Kate!

Ivy

Ivy Report 20 Oct 2008 22:44

Hi Angie,

Are you still around? I went to the Ancestry home page, followed the directions to the incoming passengers page, and did a search under my grandmother's full name. Since there were only two possibilities offered, I was then able to go straight to a scanned image of the typewritten page (journey in 1960), and like Jim, it gave me her exact date of birth - and it also gave her exact address in the UK to which she was returning.

It might be that the lists are not yet comprehensive - what date were you expecting to find your grandmother?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Oct 2008 09:05

Angie
I knew we'd 'lost' William.... and that was it.His 2 daughters are still alive and last saw their father c.1930s
On the offchance that he was mentioned ( we knew he had worked on ships in South Africa ) I just put in his first name and surname, .... nothing else.
There were a few matches and I focused on the one arriving from South Africa.... and there he was !

Gwyn