Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No address on marriage cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sand

sand Report 20 Oct 2008 21:01

I have a certificate for a marriage that took place in 1903 at Gedling parish church in Nottinghamshire. Under place of residence it just states Gedling for both people. Any ideas why no further details given. Thanks.

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 20 Oct 2008 21:10

I have exactly the same for a marriage in Herefordshire 1920, no help at all!

Kind regards
Amanda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Oct 2008 21:15

Most of mine are like that......
Often it was because the couple were from a small village and it was probably thought sufficient to just give a village name.
Later certs. and those from larger towns often gave a more detailed address.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 20 Oct 2008 21:17

Isn't it irritating? The earlier ones often give just a village or area. So frustrating.

sand

sand Report 20 Oct 2008 21:28

Thanks for replying. I was puzzled and wondered if it meant something. There was a story they had ran away to get married. But now I see its not unusual.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Oct 2008 21:28

I suppose they didn't reckon on us lot wanting to know all the details.
My Herefordshire folk came from a very small village and I presume everyone knew everyone.
Elizabeth HILL of ( village name) would be quite sufficient for them to know who it was.

The village is so small that when the original marriage register, started in 1837, was handed in, in 2004, the book was still only half full.!

Gwyn