Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not on census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

joger

joger Report 20 Oct 2008 22:03

Are there any conditions where people would not be included in the 1901 census? I have my grandfather on the 1881 and 1891 census,but not 1901.

Jac

Jac Report 20 Oct 2008 22:07

Mine was fighting in the Boer War, so wasnt on the 1901 Census but was on the 1881 and 1891.

Have you looked on Kevin Asplin's site to see if he was a serving soldier?

Jac XX

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 20 Oct 2008 22:09

They can simply have not been at home when the enumerator called. Sometimes they are there, but are badly mis transcribed, if you want to put up some names I will have a look for you. I have quite a few rellies missing from all different census`s.

Nicky

Jac

Jac Report 20 Oct 2008 22:10

That's another possibilty certainly - I found my grt-grandma today with two different spellings of her surname on two different census records.

Jac XX

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 20 Oct 2008 22:37

Well, my trollope of a great grandmother is not to be found on the 1901 - and four of her children are missing as well. (One of the children was staying with her parents.)

Personally, I think she went into hiding to avoid the scandal that was brewing about her. This was in Southwark and all linked in with the suicide of her first husband (my poor gr grandad) followed far too quickly by the birth of a child to another man who she never married - shock, horror! I'm sure the old bat was lying low somewhere and roll on the 1911 as I've worn my fingers off looking for her!

I think some of them deliberately went out of their way to be awkward!

Jill

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 20 Oct 2008 22:57

with you on that one Jill.......the 1911 can`t come quick enough for me.........

Nicky

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Oct 2008 08:11

The Ancestry 1901 census index is not as accurate as it might be. I have had several problems finding names which are there but are mistranscribed.

The original 1901 site has a much more accurate transcription - this is the one, I believe, is accessed via GR.

Mary

Mary Report 31 Oct 2008 17:49

PMSL @ Jill. She sounds a real emancipated woman and I hope they put/will put 'she lived a full life' on her headstone.

Way to go gt.granny........

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 31 Oct 2008 17:53

Hi Mary

LOL - It wouldn't surprise me if she'd been buried at a crossroads with a stake through her heart!

Not sure if I am proud of the old bat or not really. From what my mother remembered she was a bit of a girl!!

Jill