Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 census: lost London Street

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Oct 2008 11:42

Please can anyone suggest how I can find 'Upper Gloucester Street"?

An ancestor - Florence Mary Ann Manser, was born "12 Gloucester Street", Holborn, sub-district Goswell Street, May 27, 1881 .... i.e., a few months after the census?

I cannot find her family anywhere on the census - and thought I could 'walk' through the residential addresses for nearby households to see who was living there during the census. But, I cannot pinpoint 'Upper' Gloucester Street even on old maps to do this.

Can any one help please?
Very many thanks in advance.
Hille

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2008 11:55

Do you have her mother's name?

There is this person living in Goswell Street sub-registration district. Just wondered if the name was mistranscribed as the actual image is dreadful:-

Name: Lucy Marner
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1848
Where born: Holborn, Middlesex, England
Civil Parish: Clerkenwell
County/Island: London
Street address: 4 Goswell Terr
Education:

Employment status:

View Image
Registration district: Holborn
Sub registration district: Goswell Street
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Emily Golding 47
Jane Hewitt 18
Eliza Kiddell 60
***Lucy Marner 33***

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 357; Folio: 108; Page: 65; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341077.

Kath. x

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Oct 2008 12:32

HI Katherine,

Many thanks for looking! :0) ... Manser does turn up quite a few variations, but not sadly this record...

The household should comprise:

Charles [William] Manser - French Polisher - he may not be in the household of course, as 10 years later I found the family living with another man. I can't find a death record for him though.

Sarah [Ann] Manser - in 1891 census as "leaf work / artificial florist worker"
Charles - son - would be aged appx 7
Sarah [Ann] - daughter - would be aged appx 4
Esther - daughter - would be aged appx 2

In 30-40 years the family never strayed more than about 2 miles or so of this part of London, so even if Charles Manser, the father has 'disappeared', the rest of the family should be somewhere ... and I've exhausted myself searching, so any fresh ideas and eyes would be very welcome!
Many thanks
Hilary

Potty

Potty Report 21 Oct 2008 13:05

Is it Gloucester Street, or Upper Gloucester Street that you are looking for?

I have found the census records of Gloucester Street - BUT there is no No 12! It goes from 11 to 13.

I found the records by doing a search for Florence (no Surname); Parish Holborn; DOB1880; Street Gloucester (don't type in St)

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Oct 2008 14:26

Hello Potty,

Wow! Just finding Gloucester Street is amazing .. on the birth certificate it says '12 Gloucester Street"[Reg district: Holborn, Sub-Reg: Goswell Street] ... and as there are no names approximating to any of the family in Gloucester Street .. perhaps it IS Upper Gloucester Street?

Although, I would have thought that Florence was born after the census... so, one of the other siblings?
Many thanks
Hilary

John

John Report 21 Oct 2008 14:35

Hallo Hilary
Upper Gloucester Street and Gloucester Street are now the two halves of Gloucester Way - adjoining the Family Records Centre building in Myddleton Street! There is a beautiful map on www*mappalondon*com/london/north-east/clerkenwell*jpg.
Best wishes John

Hilary

Hilary Report 21 Oct 2008 14:38

Hello again,

Just to say I did look at Gloucester Street - and thanks for helping to find it!

Now for ..Upper Gloucester Street ....
NB... I've been on/off this particular trail (i.e., where were they in 1881, and what happened to Charles Manser) for 4 years and a breakthrough would be so wonderful!
Many thanks

Potty

Potty Report 21 Oct 2008 15:26

Hilary

There appear to be Enumeration districts for that area - both with the same description of streets covered. I can't remember which one Gloucester Street was in (either 11a or 11b) but if you bring up the image at the top it will have the district No. If you click on that it will bring up a list of districts. If you click on the other district No, you could browse through those pages - you never know Upper Gloucester Street might be there!

Hilary

Hilary Report 22 Oct 2008 13:04

Hello John ... just to say many thanks for the link to Mappa London .. as you say: beautiful!