Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BIRTH FAMLIES SEARCHING FOR ADOPTED ADULTS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ceri

Ceri Report 21 Oct 2008 12:33

Due to the change in the Law in 2005, Birth Families can now have help to trace their Adopted Relative.

However, this has to be done through a Government recognised Intermediary Service.

Please contact either your Local Authority or myself who can give you details of who will provide these services.

Good Luck

Victoire

Victoire Report 29 Oct 2008 14:45

Hi - how do we do this? My aunt - now dead had a daughter adopted in the 50s. My mother would love to find her but has no idea how to begin.

Anna - Lisa

Anna - Lisa Report 30 Oct 2008 08:52

Any help is great .Anna

tombola

tombola Report 6 Nov 2008 01:16

You could try an organisation called Norcap they are able to assist and support.
They hold information on file where either the adopted person has requested contact / trying to trace or vice versa (birth family would like contact). They cross reference and match any information on both parties, also act as an intermediary.There may be some fees so check first, but they do have lots of useful information for both parties.good luck.

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 6 Nov 2008 05:33

Victoria

You can apply to any Adoption Support Agency.

Go to www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk click into locating records then locating records data base. Type in the area of birth and it will show you who to apply to.

Some local authorities no longer handle post adoption work and fund agencies like 'After Adoption' so you might be given the name of another agency.

GRO also have an Adoption Contact Register similar to NORCAP. Good luck with your search.

Cheers Gerry

Victoire

Victoire Report 9 Nov 2008 02:15

Thanks Geraldine, I'll give this a go! Victoria.