Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian 'Looking For' sites

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nadine

Nadine Report 22 Oct 2008 10:16

Does anyone know of any geneology sites in Australia that might be able to help me find relatives of my grandads adoptive/foster brother? We know very little about him other than he was called Stanley (my mum cannot remember his surname or whether he had the same name as her Dad) and emigrated to Australia after WWII. She believes he got married and had children but thats as much as we know.
I wondered if there is a 'looking for relatives' kind of site that I might be able to put a post on?

Thanks

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 22 Oct 2008 11:22

Hi Nadine,

Have you tried looking for him on findmypast.com. passenger index using your grandad's surname.

I cannot think of any "Looking for relatives" sites for the whole of Australia, each state tends to operative independantly.

bye Helen

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 23 Oct 2008 04:10

There's an Australian TV program called "Can we help", which includes a segment called "lost and found" where they reunite long-lost families, etc. They seem to have amazing success at tracing people, so may be worth a try! Website: www.abc.net.au/tv/canwehelp

The Sydney Morning Herald has a section called RSVP which also publishes these types of requests: www.smh.com.au/contacts/index.html#archive7

Nadine

Nadine Report 30 Oct 2008 10:10

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Will let you know how I get on.

Nadine