Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SHOULD PEOPLE APPEAR TWICE ON MY FAMILY TREE?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jamjar

Jamjar Report 22 Oct 2008 16:56

I realise this might be a really stupid question, but how do I show cousins intermarrying without having them appear twice on my GR family tree?

Is it possible at all?

Would be grateful for any tips.

Jamjar

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 22 Oct 2008 16:59

Not on GR...............

Other programs can accommodate this...including the PAF.....free to download from the LDS site (www.familysearch.org)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Oct 2008 18:00

I think - and Eric or someone will correct me if I'm wrong - that if you were to put your tree onto PAF or something similar and then downloaded it onto this site via gedcom (no I am not sure how that works) then the relationship will show properly.

On this tree - nah. Irritating.

Jill

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 22 Oct 2008 19:14

You cannot do it on the genes tree build facility without the names appearing twice.
You can however do this on a family tree program on your home computer.
You can then export your gedcom from genes and import in to the program make the changes then export the new gedcom back to genes

There are quite a few free programs you can download to do this.

Legacy is a good free one although there are others available free to download.
Sue

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 22 Oct 2008 19:28

Asked GR the question if I could marry off cousins without duplicating them on my tree. Their reply was "Sorry, but no".

David

Jamjar

Jamjar Report 23 Oct 2008 19:45

Thanx for all your advice guys - most helpful!!!

Christine

Christine Report 23 Oct 2008 20:04

I've just downloaded Family Tree Legends - FREE. Will this one be ok for the problems Jamjar has?
Chris

Simon

Simon Report 14 Dec 2008 14:42

Jamjar,

I had the same problem and invested in Family Tree Maker back when it was the 2005 version. As others have said, you can export your tree from GR and then import it into FTM where you select the person/people and make the corrections so they appear only once; then reimport into GR.

HOWEVER! Beware... I did this the other day and as a result I have lost partial data from all of the Baptismal and Marriage dates in my GR tree. Unless you have religiously used the 'correct' dd/mm/yyyy format for all the date field in your GR tree YOU ARE LIABLE TO LOSE data. It used not to happen - but since November I have lost all of the year parts of my dates!
Grrrrrrrr! So there's something to occupy me over Christmas - going through the 15,000 records in my tree!

Simon