Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have name of 4xgrandfather but unable to trace

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 23 Oct 2008 14:06

I am trying unsucessfully to trace my 4 xgrandfather and although I know his name ( i think) I ca'nt seem to go any further back or find out who his 1st wife was, his children and his parents.
I am not one to give up easily and this is really starting to annoy me now and I am forever going round in circles.
Any ideas on how to knock down this brick wall and go on?
Regards
Nicola

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 23 Oct 2008 14:24

What is his name?

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 23 Oct 2008 17:57

??

Nicola

Nicola Report 25 Oct 2008 15:07

I can get back as far as John Clements b 1825 ish and his wife Elizabeth Burley b 1829 brighton, sussex.
On their marriage cert it states Johns father as Thomas Clements and his occupation as a fishmonger. I have been round the houses trying to connect Thomas and John, but am having very little luck.
John is on the 1841 census as a servant living in a house on Bridge Street, Lambeth.
There is also a Thomas Clements living in Camberwell, Edmund street with his wife Lucy and two children, Thomas b 1834 and Mary ann b 1836.
I personally, do not think that Lucy is Johns mother because of the big gap between him and the next child.
Unfortunately, I am struggling to prove this.
Thanks
Nicola

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Oct 2008 15:30

Closest one on BVRI:

CLEMENTS, John Christening
Christening Date: 19 Mar 1826 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England
Collection: St Nicholas
Father: Thomas CLEMENTS
Mother: Martha
Source: FHL Film 1067107 Dates: 1826 - 1836

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Oct 2008 15:37

If you think that's the right one there are these siblings:

CLEMENT, Lucy Christening
Christening Date: 19 Apr 1812 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England
Father: Thomas CLEMENT
Source: FHL Film 1067105 Dates: 1791 - 1812

CLEMENTS, William Christening
Christening Date: 6 Mar 1814 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England
Source: FHL Film 1067106 Dates: 1813 - 1815

CLEMENTS, George Christening
Christening Date: 1 Sep 1815 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England
Source: FHL Film 1067106 Dates: 1813 - 1815

CLEMENTS, Mary Ann Christening
Christening Date: 27 May 1821 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England
Source: FHL Film 1067107 Dates: 1817 - 1827

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Oct 2008 15:44

Elizabeth's birth? On BVRI:

BURLEY, Elizabeth Christening
Christening Date: 12 Oct 1828 Recorded in: Brighton, Sussex, England
Father: James BURLEY
Mother: Harriet
Source: FHL Film 1067108 Dates: 1826 - 1836

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Oct 2008 15:50

Could this be John in 1841?
Richmond St., Brighthelmstone, Brighton, Sussex
Martha Clements, 53, independant
Lucy, 29
John, 15
All born in county.

Nicola

Nicola Report 25 Oct 2008 16:19

John was born in lambeth or surrounding area as far as we know. My grandad said all his family came from the area, so I am not one hundred percent that the John you have found is the right one.
That been said, the Elizabeth Burley indeed looks like the right one.
Thankyou so much for that.
Typical men, can never make life easy!!!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 25 Oct 2008 16:47

Sorry, Nicola, I just didn't read your message properly. I understood that John was from Brighton also.

Nicola

Nicola Report 26 Oct 2008 17:40

Sorry Margaret, was probably my fault. My husband is always saying I do'nt explain things properly.
Like I said, I am pretty sure that John was born in Lambeth and you have correctly found Elizabeth. I have found out since you sent that information that one of the witnesses on her marriage cert was her mum, presumbly as Elizabeths age is quoted as a minor on the cert.
The one I am having the real trouble with is Johns dad Thomas and a fishmonger supposedly, but I ca'nt find any Thomas who was a fishmonger in the areas surrounding London, so i am really strugglling.

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 26 Oct 2008 19:20

Found this on igi:

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download

JOHN CLEMENTS Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
21 JAN 1828
Christening:
16 MAR 1828 Walworth Wesleyan, Southwark, Surrey, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: THOMAS CLEMENTS Family
Mother: SARAH

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C098031 1817 - 1837 0595438 (RG4 4328) Film 6906298 Film
Sheet: 00

mgnv

mgnv Report 28 Oct 2008 14:31

After 1813, baptisms usually show the father's occupation.

Nicola

Nicola Report 29 Oct 2008 09:37

If I have the right father of John Clements, that being Thomas then he was a fishmonger as stated on John and Elizabeths marriage cert in 1845.
What I ca'nt find is a birth/christening for John in 1825 in the lambeth/southwark area.
I know he was born in 1825 as he is down on the 1841 census as living at Bridge street,lambeth and working as a male servant aged 16 years.
There is also a Thomas Clements on the 1841 census living with Lucy and two children Thomas 1834 and Mary ann 1836 in Camberwell. Thomas senior has an occupation of Milkman.
I am struggling to believe that you could go from something like fishmonger to milkman in 4 years and I also believe that Lucy is not Johns mother, therefore Thomas second wife.
Far to many if and buts to contend with, but I ca'nt see where else to go at the moment.

f.a.o MGNY- on what website does it show the fathers occupation, so I can take a look?

Regards
Nicola

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 29 Oct 2008 10:54

This may seem like a really silly question - but how do you know that the John working as a servant in Bridge Street Lambeth is your John?

Nicola

Nicola Report 29 Oct 2008 13:50

I do'nt know that the John living in Bridge st is mine, it is complete guesswork.
My grandad always said that his family were locals and from the lambeth/southwark area.
My john was born in 1825 which works with the age he would be on the 1841 census. Ca'nt find him on the 1851, but I think he is there on the 1861 census as married and living with Elizabeth Burley.
There are a few hiccups regarding age, depending on which website you go on, sometimes John is a couple of years older, sometimes he is 5-7 years older!!
So in answer to your question, I do'nt know for sure but he is the only one who seems to fit the criteria.