Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where to go next?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 25 Oct 2008 14:24

Can one of you kind people (who have helped me so much before!) tell me where to look for generations prior to census and BMD records? I have no idea how you go about checking parish records which are way out of your area.

Perhaps if I explain my problem it would help. I am tracing back the Ashton family in the Warrington Lancs area (I am near Heathrow). The name Hamlet Ashton is one that crops up through 3 generations that I have evidence for. The earliest, Hamlet Ashton born Appleton Warrington 1820, married Mary Pye (marriage cert).
Parents John Ashton c1802 and Mary Ismand (1841 census and IGI).
If you type the name Hamlet Ashton into Familysearch, it comes up with a long list of the same name going back to the 1300s in the same area. I suspect that there must be some connection, but I don't know how to make the link. Can anyone help?

Jayne

Jayne Report 25 Oct 2008 14:42

The first thing to do is locate the marriage of John and Mary Ismand, if possible and see if their father's and/or witnesses are mentioned in the Parish Register.

It is difficult to trace people unless you can get to records offices in person, as on-line records (older they are especially) are notoriously in accurate.

Would anyone at the Lancashire Records Office be able to advise you ?

Warrington Library
01925 442890
http://www.warrington.gov.uk

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2008 14:43

well firstly most counties have Family History Societies - you can google to confirm this. They usually have parish records either in book form or CD which you can purchase and I believe they will also do look ups for you but maybe will charge a small fee for such a service

Christine

Christine Report 25 Oct 2008 14:50

Thank you Jane and Anne. I didn't even know there were any on-line records. I will certainly try all the sources you mention. I am learning so much!

Alison

Alison Report 25 Oct 2008 15:12

Hi Christine, have you tried this one ?

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl

Possible for Hamlet's Dad?

County Lancashire
Place Burtonwood
Church St Michael
RegisterNumber 648
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 17 Oct 1802
Forename John
Sex M
FatherForename John
MotherForename Sarah
FatherSurname ASHTON
MotherSurname
Abode Burtonwood
FatherOccupation Weaver
Notes
FileNumber 2944

Potty

Potty Report 25 Oct 2008 15:13

Christine,

I notice that IGI records for the John Ashton/Mary Ismand marriage are submitted. Submitted records should be treated very cautiously - they are very often incorrect.

Try this site : http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/i

They have transcribed parish records for Lancashire and most parishes have an email contact .

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2008 15:14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Husband
Hamlett Ashton Pedigree

Birth: About 1562 Of Glasbrock, Warrington, Lancashire, England
Christening:
Marriage: 07 JAN 1588 Farnworth Nr, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Death: 11 OCT 1591 Of Glasbrock, Warrington, Lancashire, England
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife
Christian Ashton Pedigree

Birth:
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Children

1. John Ashton Pedigree
Male

Birth: About 1588 Of Glassbrook, Warrington, Lancashire, England
Christening:
Death:
Burial: 19 AUG 1623 Warrington, Lancashire, England

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2008 15:15

Husband
Hamlet Ashton Pedigree

Birth: About 1638 Of Rixon, , Lancashire, England
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Wife
Dorothy Hall Pedigree

Birth: About 1642 Of, Warrington, Lancashire, England
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial: Warington, , Lancashire, England

Children

1. Mary Ashton of Hall Pedigree
Male

Birth:
Christening: 08 NOV 1663 Warrington, Lancashire, England
Death:
Burial:

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2008 15:16

Husband
Unavailable Pedigree

Birth:
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Wife
Mrs Hamlet Ashton Pedigree

Birth: About 1706 Of, Hale, Lancashire, England
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Children

None

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2008 15:16

Husband
EDWARD ASHTON Pedigree

Birth:
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Wife

Children

1. HAMBLETT ASHTON Pedigree
Male

Birth:
Christening: 06 JUN 1708 Walton On The Hill, Lancashire, England
Death:
Burial:

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2008 15:17

Hamlet Ashton Compact Disc #128 Pin #2667607 Pedigree
Sex: M

Event(s)
Birth: 7 Sep 1766

Farnworth Lancs
Death: May 1849

Wavertree

Parents
Father: Thomas Ashton Disc #128 Pin #2667642
Mother: Mary Longworth Disc #128 Pin #2667643

Marriage(s)
Spouse: Mary Hornby Disc #128 Pin #2667608
Marriage: 14 Feb 1791
Childwall All Saints Church

Personal Information
Number of Marriages:
Number of Children:
Religious Affiliation:
C E
Shoe Maker, and Constable of Wavertree

Notes and Sources
Notes: Available on CD-ROM Disc# 128
Sources: None

Submitter
Leslie William DOWARD
48. Trevor roadAintree, Liverpool, Lancs, L9 8DZ, England

AnnCardiff

Hamlett Ashton Compact Disc #80 Pin #18198 Pedigree

Event(s)
Birth: 28 Jul 1621

Glazebrook , lancashire

Parents
Father: John Ashton Disc #80 Pin #18196
Mother: Alice Unknown Disc #80 Pin #18197

Notes and Sources
Notes: None
Sources: Available on CD-ROM Disc# 80

Submitter
peter COUSINSQ
ormskirk, L39 1 PU, England

AnnCardiff

Hamlet Ashton Compact Disc #80 Pin #18102 Pedigree

Event(s)
Birth: 1458

Penketh
Death: abt 1478

Warrington

Parents
Father: Thomas Ashton Disc #80 Pin #18105

Marriage(s)
Spouse: Margery Baxter Disc #80 Pin #18103
Marriage: 1478
Warrington, Lancashire

Notes and Sources
Notes: None
Sources: Available on CD-ROM Disc# 80

Submitter
peter COUSINSQ
ormskirk, L39 1 PU, England

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2008 15:19

Christine - this guy called Peter Cousins who has submitted some of this information must be connected and doing the tree as well - why not write to him!! The address given is sufficient to send a letter

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2008 15:20

Hamlett Ashton Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth: About 1531 Of Glassbrook, , Lancashire, England

Christening:
Death:
Burial: 11 OCT 1590

Marriages:
Spouse: Mrs Elizabeth Ashton Family

Record submitted by a member of the LDS Church. The record often shows the name of the individual and his or her relationship to a descendant, shown as the heir, family representative, or relative. The original records are not indexed, and you may have to look at the film frame-by-frame to find the information you want. A family group record for this couple may be in the Family Group Record Collection; Archive Section. (See the Family History Library Catalog for the film number.) These records are alphabetical by name of the father or husband.

Source Information:
Film Number: 457547
Page Number:
Reference number:

Christine

Christine Report 25 Oct 2008 15:34

I can't believe all this you have come up with - I am amazed! Can I take it that these are connected? I will certainly write to Peter Cousins. This is definitely the right place to come for help! Thank you so much.