Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jewish Names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 25 Oct 2008 17:29

In my tree back to 1815 there are first names Issac,Abraham,David,Jacob,Emanuel,Sophia,Rebecca,Solomen,Phobe Moses and Leah,A couple of surnames Moss and Goldstein.Are these all Jewish names?If they are does the faith come from the father or mother?My mum has always said it comes from the mother and it was her dad that was jewish. Annie

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Oct 2008 18:31

all those Christian names are Jewish - all in the bible

Peter

Peter Report 25 Oct 2008 23:41

Hi Annie,

All of those names except Phoebe are Old Testament names and therefore Jewish in origin. However, all of them can be found in Christian families in the C19. However, in conjunction with those surnames they may well be Jewish. It is therefore better to refer to them as forenames rather than Christian names. Still since you have so many names you must know where they came from. If they were in parish registers they must be Christian. What then is your evidence?

You are right that Jewish racial inheritance is matrilineal but "faith" is probably not the right word here (although I can't think of a better one at the moment) since faith or religion can be rejected whereas racial inheritance is an immutable fact.

Peter

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Oct 2008 10:23

oops!!!