Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BIRTH FAMILIES SEARCHING FOR ADOPTED ADULTS...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ceri

Ceri Report 27 Oct 2008 17:51

In 2005 the Law changed in England and Wales....Birth Families are now able to request an Intermediary Service who will search and locate your Adopted Relative.

The Court and the Registrar General have to give information relating to the Adoption to the Intermediary Agency..eg New Name after Adoption..name and address of Adopters etc.

Once found the Intermediary will ask the Adoptee whether he/she would like contact with the Birth Family. If the Adoptee says yes then the Intermediary will put you in touch with one another.

If the Adoptee says that they do not want contact at this time, then the Intermediary may share some Non Identifying information with you. eg. Married two children.

There are many regulated Intermediary Agencies. If you contact your Local Authority they should be able to give you the name of one in your area.

If you want to contact me then I can give you the name and number of a couple of them who have offices all over the UK.

Kind Regards

Ceri

Jayne

Jayne Report 27 Oct 2008 19:53

Very useful info Ceri

Most local authority Social Services Depts have been very helpful over adoption, on behalf of 2 of my friends who I am helping.

Ceri

Ceri Report 29 Oct 2008 15:37

Thank you

Its really good to hear things are progressing for some people

Kind Regards

Ceri

Ceri Report 30 Oct 2008 15:51

N.....for information