Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

merchant seamen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 27 Oct 2008 19:24

could anyone advise me as to which is the easiest way to look for records of a merchant seaman during the years 1920-1950 . i have been on archive (national) site but it all gobblygook to me . am i right in thinking i really do have to pay them a visit . i dont mind doing that but im not sure where my records would be stored as they mention a number of places. i thank everyone who can give me some info as i have been wondering what to do next for weeks now
eileen

Jayne

Jayne Report 27 Oct 2008 19:51

National Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/merchant/step1.htm

Certificates Registers of Certificates of Competency or Service, and certificates issued for length of service are held in The National Archives for the following categories:

Masters and mates: 1845 onwards

Engineers: 1862 onwards

Skippers and mates of fishing boats: 1882 onwards

These records give name, place and year of birth, date and place of issue of certificate, ships served in (up to 1888), and (sometimes) details of injuries and death.

For details of service prior to gaining a Certificate, look at the records of seamen and also the records in series BT 115 (1845-54).

Research guides Merchant seamen: Officers' service records 1845-1921

Merchant seamen: Medals and honours

Merchant shipping: Crew lists and agreements, 1747-1860

Merchant shipping: Crew lists and agreements after 1861

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 27 Oct 2008 20:09

Have a look at the National Archives Research Guide for Merchant seamen 1913-1972. This will tell you what sort of records they have and where to find them. To get to the guides, click on research at the top of the home page (in red), go to research guides, then click on the letter M.

The documentsonline site has medal records for WW2 for Merchant seamen.

DaveatHove

DaveatHove Report 29 Oct 2008 16:44

Hi
I have been to Kew a few times and have found information on several merchant seamen from different eras. The records are on microfiche or film and you need to visit. For the dates you mentioned they will probably be in their series of microfiche BT349, BT350 and/or BT382. As Ann mentioned they have a good user guide, but it is worth having a look at one of their books if you can get one, from a library?, before you go. The best guide to the National Archives is called just that by Stella Colwell.

All the best David
(please email me if you would like any more info.)

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 29 Oct 2008 17:04

The later Merchant Seamen documents are original documents, and you're not allowed to look at them. You order them at Kew and a copy is done for you by the staff. They are really informative and often include a photo!

Eileen

Eileen Report 1 Nov 2008 16:38

many thanks for your info i will see if ican get a copy of book and plan a visit to archive
eileen