Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dutch

dutch Report 28 Oct 2008 16:27

why would myg.grandparents have there daughter on there gravestone but interred in another cemetery
Dutch

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Oct 2008 16:29

could it be that her mother wanted her buried in a different place but that she was recorded on the grandparents gravestone to show the connection with them?

dutch

dutch Report 28 Oct 2008 16:36

sorry Ann should have worded it better,they were my g,grandparents but they have one daughter age 17yrs old buried there then there other daughter who was only 8mths old then there buried there with there servant,and then there son but hes not in that grave either hes in another one that he bought for his daughter in 1900

dutch

dutch Report 30 Oct 2008 14:51

Should have said that it was her parents on the grave stone,but they had her interred in Abney cemetry,but dont no why

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Oct 2008 21:36

it seems to happen quite often ..... don't know why she was buried in a different place, but mentioning her on their gravestone connects her with the family.

sylvia

dutch

dutch Report 31 Oct 2008 07:42

Thanks Sylvia,it seems our rellies gave us the run round you just think everything is going right then something else pops up
Dutch

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 31 Oct 2008 13:58

I gather it is not unusual. One reason given was that there is no space for a further body in the grave.

dutch

dutch Report 31 Oct 2008 15:12

Gremlin,i dont think that was the case as she was second to go in the grave after her sister,mybe its just the way they did things them days,i have photo of the gravestone its quite large
Dutch

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Oct 2008 18:41

We found some gravestones belonging to my husband's family in a church graveyard when we were back in the UK in June.

One lists 6 members of a family ........ parents and four children. The fourth name was a daughter who died in 1880 age 42 years and "was interred at Kendal Cemetery".

The last name of the list was so close to the bottom of the stone that it was actually buried in the soil!!

sylvia