Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

divorce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sue

sue Report 28 Oct 2008 18:44

Hi,
I am trying to find out some info for my husbands tree, his father married in 1923 the first time, he then married my hubbys mum in 1945, Apparently it took many years to get a divorce.
Is there anywhere i can find out about the date of the divorce? also why did it take so long in those days?
sue

fudge1

fudge1 Report 28 Oct 2008 18:52

Hi Sue, i searched "the catalogue" on the national archives for my nans divorce in 1935, and found it, good luck. gill

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Oct 2008 20:08

in the 20s and 30s there had to be "blame" to get a divorce.

One partner usually had to agree to provide the evidence ..... ie, get caught in a hotel room with another person who was not their spouse.

This could be part of the reason

Or of course, the first marriage might not have broken down until after many years.

You also had WW2 intervening ...... maybe he served in the forces, and his absence contributed to the breakdown (or maybe she found another person during the war).

There's lots of reasons why there could be a long period between marriages.

sylvia

sue

sue Report 28 Oct 2008 20:22

thanks folks,
where do i find 'the catalogue' and the national archives?
sue

sue

sue Report 28 Oct 2008 21:13

that site is too confusing for me. But thank you anyway.
sue

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 28 Oct 2008 21:29

Sue

If you want to pm the names to me I'll have a look on the National Archives Catalogue. I know it's difficult to use, but I'm used to it!

sue

sue Report 28 Oct 2008 22:26

thank you , i have pm'd you.
sue

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Oct 2008 23:03

Sue

you could try www.a2a.org.uk

this site provides access to archives from all over the country.

NOTE:- re divorce.

The easing of divorce has happened in my lifetime ................ I think the lifestyle of the 60s was the main reason why it became easier to divorce your partner.

In the 50s it was still possible to read the News of the World (if you could sneak it away from your parents!!) and see reports of celebrities divorcing, with the evidence being one partner being found in a hotel room with another person by a private detective.

A true gentleman provided the evidence even if it was his wife who wanted the divorce .... he would never put his wife through the stigma of being guilty of adultery!!

Being the "other" person could be quite a lucrative "job" for a young lady ........ and finding the evidence of adultery formed the basis of many private detective agencies!!

I believe another basis for divorce could be the incarceration of one partner in a lunatic asylum

sylvia

sue

sue Report 29 Oct 2008 17:41

where would i find the newspapers?
sue

sue

sue Report 30 Oct 2008 22:09

thank you for your help, but i have no idea when it was, just between 1923 and 1945. So an awful lot of searching.
sue