Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FAMILY GUESSING GAME

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 28 Oct 2008 22:33

Please help me... My Grandfather was called Frank Doherty he married Bella Gallagher(isabella) They lived in Fahan Co Donegal My Grandfather was a foundling baby His date of birth was give as 1/1/1895 He was brought up by 2 spinister sisters Is there any way to find out about the sisters that brought him up. On his death cert there is no names in the parents details

Sue

Sue Report 28 Oct 2008 23:53

Answered you on gen though probably not much help

Sue

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 Oct 2008 03:34

Hi Jean

I can't help you, but what is a foundling baby?

New one on me.

Margaret

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 29 Oct 2008 04:04

Usually one left on someone's doorstep, often at a convent for the nuns to care for.
B

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Oct 2008 04:07

Foundling is a child left perhaps at a hospital,on someones doorstep, or the church. Or just left somewhere. Parents unknown. The date of birth would be a guess and the charity would have to name him unless there is a note with the child.

You still hear of babies born perhaps to young mothers who leave them because they are scared to tell family

The Variety Club charity was founded on Oct 10th 1927 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania by men involved in show business set up a social club named The Variety Club.
On Christmas eve 1928 a small child was left on the steps of a theatre with a note
Please take care of my baby. Her name is Catherine. I can no longer take care of her as I have 8 others and my husband is out of work. She was born on Thanksgiving Day.I have always heard of the goodness of showbusiness people and pray to God you will look after her.
Signed.
A heart broken mother

Since efforts to trace the mother failed ,the members of the Variety Club undertook to fund the childs living expenses and education. Later the club decided to raise funds for other disadvantaged childen. IThe charity is now in 13 countries worldwide

Valerie

Valerie Report 29 Oct 2008 04:42

Were the spinsters' names 'Doherty'? Do you have their names/ages etc? Valerie