Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SMALLPOX OUTBREAK BERKSHIRE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy Woo

Wendy Woo Report 28 Oct 2008 22:57

hi, does anyone know of any site that lists victims of smallpox in the 1800s in Easthampstead Berkshire.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 29 Oct 2008 08:16

Wendy that is where all my mothers family were born and married I have not heard anything about this but would be interested if you find anything out

Margaret

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 29 Oct 2008 08:55

HAVE YOU TRIED GOOGLING FOR IT

Heather

Heather Report 29 Oct 2008 10:22

What did you actually want to find out - is it re one specific person?

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Oct 2008 10:39

My 3xgt grandparents died from smallpox 3 days apart in 1871 in Allendale Northumberland. I dont know if there was an epidemic either.
In the 18th century smallpox was responsible for 10% of all deaths. In 1796 Edward Jenner made the first successful vaccination against the disease and by the 19th c it was a highly effective way of controlling the disease

Beejay

Beejay Report 29 Oct 2008 12:54

I don't know if this helps but I have the parish death records for Buckinghamshire, and there was an outbreak of smallpox in 1837 which started round about July. As we're right next door to Berkshire it might help with the time frame