Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Understanding Birth Cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gary

Gary Report 28 Oct 2008 23:31

Hello could anyone explain the following wrote about my Great Great Grandmother on her daughters birth cert? please

Eliza Quinn Late Isherwood formally Thompson? Trying to figure out what the late means and guessing formerley means her maiden name at birth?

Thanks for any help

Gary

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Oct 2008 23:36

Eliza THOMPSON probably married Mr ISHERWOOD then later married Mr QUINN.

It helps to think of 'late' as meaning lately, as in recently / previously.
She could of course not actually married, but just be known by those names.

Gwyn

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 28 Oct 2008 23:37

It means that Eliza was married twice and Isherwood would have been her first married name.

Linda

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Oct 2008 23:41

Would this marriage fit?

Marriages Sep 1872

Bell Joseph Manchester 8d 323
>>ISHERWOOD Elizabeth Manchester 8d 323
>>Quinn John Manchester 8d 323
Smith Sarah Manchester 8d 323

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 29 Oct 2008 00:10

"Late" means that she was widowed - i.e. her first husband Mr Isherwood died and she then remarried to a Mr Quinn.

Gary

Gary Report 29 Oct 2008 13:55

Hi Gwyn,

This marriage does appear to fit. My problem is that on the Birth Cert of the daughter of Eliza ? she the daughter was given the name Isherwood while father was John Quinn then mother as I detailed before. As date of birth is Feb 1872 I suppose it could be that she was born before they married and the mother was just using name Quinn? Think I need to try and trace a marriage of Eliza Thompson and a Mr Isherwood then. Could you tell me where you got marriage details from?

thanks for help

Gary

Potty

Potty Report 29 Oct 2008 14:45

A child's surname does not usually appear on a birth cert - it is assumed from the father's name, unless the child is illegitmate. I cannot find an Eliza Isherwood in the index for 1872 although there are some Eliza Quinn's. Where did the birth take place?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Oct 2008 15:16

Perhaps the daughter was actually the daughter of Mr. Isherwood, but born after his death and after the marriage of her mother to Mr. Quinn. She could therefore be given the middle name Isherwood out of respect and in rememberance of her natural father.

Or it could just be that she has been given her mother's surname at the time of her marriage to Mr. Quinn (which happened quite a lot).

Kath. x

Gary

Gary Report 29 Oct 2008 20:19

Hi Potty,

The birth was registered in St Martins District of Liverpool. I have a copy of the birth cert, But it now appears her mother married John Quinn in Sept 1872 while she was born in the Feb 1872 but father shown as John Quinn but child given surname of Isherwood.

thanks

Gary

Potty

Potty Report 30 Oct 2008 10:59

Gary, where on the certificate does the name Isherwood appear in relation to the child? Is it under name if any? If so it is a middle name and not a surname. What was the child's name?

There are no Isherwood births in Liverpool on freebmd for that quarter but there are some Quinns.

In answer to your question about the marriage, I would think that that also came from freebmd but The woman's first name is Elizabeth not Eliza and she could have married Joseph Smith not John Quinn.

Have you found the family on the 1881 census for Eliza and John's DOB? We could then look for them in 1871.

Gary

Gary Report 30 Oct 2008 20:56

Name isherwood was under childs name given as Elizabeth Ann. Have found Elzabeth Ann Quinn on 1881 as a 9 year old with mother Eliza A but she is remarried to a Henry Boylan. Think this is correct as have a baptism cert for Elizabeth's daugher Sarah Calvert born 1901 and although it's in Latin (great) it appears to give mothers details as Elizabeth Calvert (olim which believe means formerly) Boylan. So also assuming John Quinn possibly died between 1872 and 1881.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 30 Oct 2008 21:05

The birth cert would have the name Isherman because the parents were not married. However John Quinn must have been present at the registration and agreed to having his name as father added..
My mums birth in 1919 is registered under her mothers surname.. The same registration number is used and mums birth is under her fathers name. So it appears she is registered twice. Grandparents didnt marry till 1920

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 30 Oct 2008 21:12

The birth is registered as Elizabeth Ann I Quinn 1872 June qt Liverpool gro ref vol 8b page 7

Gary

Gary Report 30 Oct 2008 21:39

Thanks to every one think I understand now

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2008 21:42

Isherwood in this case is definitely a forename and not a surname.

Kath. x