Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Me having a moan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 28 Oct 2008 23:44

I have two trees on Ancestry. I looked at the hints for one person and found that he has children attributed to him but no spouse. He appears on a number of trees where the info had obviously just been copied.

Don't people want to find out exact details or are they just happy to add a few more names without any background?

I have also found exact deaths for some of mine and contacted owners of trees to let them have the details. They haven't bothered to correct their tree info.

Moan over.

Sue

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 29 Oct 2008 00:08

You are right Sue, some people are not bothered to correct details or get the full detail .I don't know why they ever bothered at all in the first place to build a tree.
I do not waste time any more trying to point people in the right direction ,even when I have passed on info from details on certificates they still do not bother to correct their tree and then post the incorrect detail on the IGI and ancestry etc.

I say let them get on with their game of "name collecting", because that's all they are interested in.As long as you are happy with your tree ,that's all that matters

Sue

Sue Report 29 Oct 2008 00:24

Thanks Simon, I am glad it's not just me.

I am so grateful when someone discovers I have made a mistake and correct me because I can then get back on the right track.

Sue

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 29 Oct 2008 20:12

My Dad is on one world tree as born 2nd June, he was born on 6th Feb. Guess that was copied on there by my American contact then!

Huia

Huia Report 30 Oct 2008 00:22

Sue, they dont want to be corrected. They know what they have is correct as it appears in 9 One World trees. My sister, clever person that she was, was married to a man b in 1723 if the trees on Ancestry are to be believed. And some of those trees give her (and my) father with his correct y.o.b. of 1899.
I was even told by one person to educate myself in how to do genealogical research. As if I need to research my sister.
It is identity theft.
Huia.