Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ARE STILL BORNS RECORDED?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 30 Oct 2008 16:18

Can you help me please as I am a novice at researching my family tree? My grandparents George Talbot and Ethel Taylor married in 1906 (Smethwick) and had my father, George Derrick in 1914. I am fairly sure that when I was little I overheard that my grandmother had had another child, a boy. When I consider that there is an 8 year gap to the birth of my father this seems to be highly likely. I am almost certain that 'still born' was mentioned. Would I be able to obtain confirmation of this or am I wasting precious time? Thank you for reading this. Valerie Pitt (nee Talbot)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Oct 2008 16:40

If you know where the family were living you could look for a burial in nearby churchyard or cemetery.

The stillbirth register didn't start until 1927

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2008 18:58

Lots of stillborn children at that time were placed in the coffin of someone (usually a stranger) who was being buried at the same time.

Kath. x

Valerie

Valerie Report 30 Oct 2008 19:04

Many thanks Gwyn & Kathleen. You have both been most helpful. I think this is one that I am never going to solve!

Val
x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Oct 2008 19:09

Do look for him Val.
I have a few records of family stillborn burials from 1870s onwards.
You might just find him, although I agree with Kath that often poverty meant that families couldn't afford a separate burial.

Gwyn

Valerie

Valerie Report 30 Oct 2008 19:44

I have only recently signed up to Genes Reunited. What a helpful and friendly site it is! Thank you again Gwyn.

Val