Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free Location plotting software? does it exist?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marmite

Marmite Report 1 Nov 2008 06:55

I was thinking it would be great if any free country map software existed so you could type in your ancestor locations and it would produce a map of the UK or the world with their names against each location where they once lived, then you could print it out and add to your tree info. Does this exist??? if yes please put the link here. Or am I dreaming?

Send me a PM if you want or just post here but the board gets full up and I may not find the post again

Thanks!!!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Nov 2008 07:27

Earlier versions of FTM also have a map. I Use FTM 2006 (or Version 16 as some know it) which also has mapping options.

Marmite

Marmite Report 1 Nov 2008 07:35

I don't want a tree I have one on GRU- I want to make a map i.e. use software of some kind where you get a map of the UK for example and it shows all the locations of where your ancestors used to live after you enter in their location by city or streets. If this exists do you have the web link?? thanks.

P.S I don't want any site where you have to register and all that then get to a point on it then it asks you to pay up as a member. Many sites do this. Show you a bit of free stuff then just when you get excited on what you can see, it asks you to pay and join !!

Leclerc

Leclerc Report 1 Nov 2008 08:15

There is a free programme "Microsoft Maps" were you can do this, I have mine plotted in the same way, you may not be able to plot your rellies individual names, but I've done mine by families. You might be able to use Google maps in the same way but I haven't tried that yet.
Regards
L

Marmite

Marmite Report 1 Nov 2008 08:52

Cool thanks I'll try that. IMO GRU should add that as a feature to the site. It would be good and could be printable and similar to their tree page.

Heather

Heather Report 1 Nov 2008 13:41

I'd love it if you could print off individual family trees on GRU. I did a lot of research on my sister-in-law's family and had to use the PrntScn key and Paint to put her tree (in bits for her to reassemble) in a Word document. I've noticed that when you're looking at a part of the tree, you can't get rid of the details section below.
Printing off the whole tree for someone who only needs to see their bit is ridiculous. And the last time I printed my whole tree it took 12 A4 sheets! it's a heap bigger now.
Heather

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Nov 2008 15:22

Heather,

Put your tree on a decent PC program such as FTM and you will have the ability to print off as much or as little as you wish.

As I said earlier, it has mapping options as well.

Marmite

Marmite Report 1 Nov 2008 17:21

do you have the web link for FTM and is it free????