Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advise please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 1 Nov 2008 14:24

In the 1881 census I have Mary Roberts living with her two sons, John R Roberts and William Roberts. Also living at that address is a George Massie, lodger.

Mary is recorded as "General labourers wife", Head, married.

Can I assume from this info that her husband was away from home at the time of the census???

Kathlyn

Justine

Justine Report 1 Nov 2008 14:34

I think i would - if he was dead, she would have been recorded as a widow.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Nov 2008 14:51

This looks like the family in 1891:
242 Marsh Lane, Bootle, Lancashire
George Massie, head, 50, baker, born Cheshire, Wanaton
Mary, wife, 47, born Kirby
John R. Ruberts, stepson, 17, baker, born Liverpool
William Ruberts, stepson, 15, assistant baker, born Liverpool
Jane Taylor, sister-in-law, widow, 39, general domestic servant, born Kirby

Justine

Justine Report 1 Nov 2008 14:54

so she married the lodger??

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 1 Nov 2008 15:03

Thanks Justine. I did think that, and have looked at the 1881 census for a John Roberts in the Liverpoo area.

On the marriage cert for Mary and John Roberts his occupation is.."Carter"

On their daughter Mary Ellen`s marriage cert in 1892 she records her father as being a.."Joiner"

Mary Ellen married again in 1905 and again lists her father as a "Joiner".

Do you think the family were doing a "Jones`s" or did the enumerator lump occupations under a general heading??

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 1 Nov 2008 15:04

Yes Margaret, that is them.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Nov 2008 15:06

Or lived in sin! I can't find the marriage.

Justine

Justine Report 1 Nov 2008 15:08

He could have changed professions???

Justine

Justine Report 1 Nov 2008 15:11

Married in 1894????

Name: George Massie
Year of Registration: 1894
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Liverpool (1837-1934)
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 39 (click to see others on page

Name: Mary Roberts
Year of Registration: 1894
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Liverpool (1837-1934)
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 39 (click to see others on page)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Nov 2008 15:40

Oh, I missed that one, Justine, because I just looked up to 1891. They did say they were married then.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 1 Nov 2008 15:41

Margaret and Justine,

I have the marriage cert for the marriage of Mary to John Roberts in 1868 and the marriage cert when
Mary married George Massie.

I have found Mary`s family back to the early 1800s and the same with George Massie who was a widower when he lived in the Roberts houshold.

Because John Roberts is such a common name I am having difficulty sorting him out. He died sometime between 1881 and 1891 as in the 1891 census, Mary is recorded as the wife of George Massie, (living in sin happened in them days also)

Again, because John Roberts is so common, I cannot find his death.

Kathlyn

Justine

Justine Report 1 Nov 2008 15:49

I can imagine - John Roberts is a common name. Apart from going through 10 years worth of death records, I can't think of how else to find him.

What a good story though - getting married to the lodger - wonder if they were "together" in 1881 when husband was away???

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Nov 2008 15:56

Could it be that John Roberts was still alive in 1891 and that's why George and Mary couldn't marry. Then John died shortly before 1894 so the marriage could go ahead?
Just a guess.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 1 Nov 2008 15:59

Justine,

Mary was a glutton for punishment. George Massie died in 1909 and Mary married again to a Percy Morris in 1915. I think she went to the Great Garden in the Sky about 1825, but I have yet to prove this.

I have a photo of Mary with George Massie and she is rather a stout lady. Family hand me down stories said that George massie was at one time a Mayor of either Bootle or Lancashire, but NO he was not as I have found a list of past mayors for both places.

As for trawling through 10 years of deaths, I have tried that one and have come up with a possible 20 or so.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 1 Nov 2008 16:06

Margaret,

There is sense in what you say but there has been no "stories" in the family that would lead one to think that.

It all boils down to the old saying......If only I had asked questions when granddad was alive. But then who would have thought at that time it would be so easy to trace your ancestors whilst sitting at home.