Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Monmouth (Newport) area

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hayley

Hayley Report 1 Nov 2008 16:32

Can anyone in Monmouth help wth a location please?

I have a marriage cert for my great-grandparents in 1924 but the location is not particularly clear. It says marriage solemnized at the parish church in the parish of .... looks like Llantarnam, or Llanfarnam? .... in the County of Monmouth.

I have tried old faithful (google) with no luck as I am not even really sure which letter or letters are wrong. I also think parish boundaries seem to have changed quite a lot in this area since 1924.

It would make life so much easier if the actual name of the Church they married at appeared on the cert!

Thanks for any help you can give
Hayley

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 1 Nov 2008 16:38

Could it be Llangarron?? That is a Monmouth parish - a friend of mine had some folk there. Kate xx

Ed Stone

Ed Stone Report 1 Nov 2008 16:40

Hi,
There's a Llantarnam about 3 miles north of Newport, Gwent

Hayley

Hayley Report 1 Nov 2008 16:45

Thanks both, I'll check into those areas!

Hayley

Hayley Report 1 Nov 2008 16:46

Just one back to the cert and now that I know what I'm looking for I think it's llantarnam.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 1 Nov 2008 16:46

On second thoughts - forget Llangarron - it's too far away. Ed's sounds exactly right.

LD

LD Report 1 Nov 2008 17:45

St Michaels and All Angels Church, Llantarnam in the Rectorial Benefice of Cwmbran.

http://www.stmichaels-llantarnam.co.uk/History.htm

The church of St Deinst, Llangarron is in the Diocese of Hereford

Hayley

Hayley Report 1 Nov 2008 18:26

Brilliant!

Found a lovely pic of St Michaels too & it looks like a really pretty place

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 4 Nov 2008 22:08

hi hayley

dad just told me he spoted this but couldnt reply to it

llantarnam is not far from us, just between here and cwmbran, its a pretty little church, by the side of a pub, called the greenhouse,
its may now be in the county of newport gwent
as monmouthshire was replace with gwent,
newport is a city now, but you should be able to find something,

if you need any more help let me know,
hope you find something,

Hayley

Hayley Report 7 Nov 2008 13:24

Thanks Julie Ann!

It's lovely when you can find photos etc on-line & be able to put something a bit more than a written cert in your tree, I can actually almost imagine their wedding (which was on Christmas Eve 1924, how romantic!)
Thanks very much for the offer of help, now that I have managed to locate the Church I may well come to see it myself as I'm not too far away, but I will bear it in mind if I get stuck again

Hayley