Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA testing, Can anyone advise me please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 1 Nov 2008 19:30

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a DNA test but am a little wary and unsure if the one I want will do the job. There are 3 types I think

Y chromosome test 33 marker which says you can find genetic cousins and learn about ancient paternal ancestry.

Y chromosome test 46 marker has hirteen additional markers & provide a more precise comparison with other participants ...

Mitochrondial test. Learn about the ancient ancestry and early human migrations of your maternal line forbearers.

I want to discover is we have Indian forbearers as my gt granduncle was born in India and my gt grandfather had the same features and colouring. although his birth certificate states he was born in Staffordshire on one census it says he was born 'Sea'. It is only these two children of the family who were not white. I know the test has to be from father to son.

I think the DNA test I want is the Y chromosome test 33 marker as it says I can find out about paternal ancestry but am I right or should I be going for the Test 46 marker?

Any advice on this would be really really appreciated.

Thanks to anyone who can advise me. Regards, Lou

Janice

Janice Report 1 Nov 2008 20:25

Sorry, don't know if you are a male or female Lou, but if female you are XX and don't have a Y chromosome to test.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 1 Nov 2008 21:09

Visit www,national geographic.co.uk and look up the Genographic Project. You can buy a DNA testing kit from them for $99.95, they will do the test for you. The result should tell you if you have Indian Descendents.

Eileen

Eileen Report 1 Nov 2008 21:35

No Malcolm, the test will say if Lou has Indian ancestors - it can't test descendents if they have not been born yet.

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 1 Nov 2008 21:55

Hi

I have always thought of taking a DNA test but I think it only works with the direct paternal line and the maternal line, ie, mothers mothers mother.

I dont think it would work for eg a mothers, mothers, mothers fathers father.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 1 Nov 2008 23:12

I think these are the people you need

http://www.ancestrybydna.com/welcome/ordernow/

They do the normal Y chromosome and mitrochondrial tests but they also offer the non sex reliant ones that give you percentages of various origins.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 2 Nov 2008 19:22

Hi Everyone, thanks for replying, sorry I'm late in responding I took ill just after I posted the thread.

I will not be taking the test, as I understand the test has to be from the direct male line - father to son so it's my brother who will be taking it.

I've also just received an email from Ancestry offering a FT Maker platinum, plus a DNA test and 6 mths membership all for £80 so this could be the test you mention Janet, but I will take a look at the sites suggested.

Many thanks for your replies, I feel a bit more confident about it all now.

Thanks again, Lou