Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Link to archived British Newspaqers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 1 Nov 2008 21:13

Can anyone please give me the link to the British Newspapers archive 1800-1900, which I have unfortunately lost due to allowing my dear daughter to access a virus on my computer! I think it is a trial version....

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Nov 2008 21:21

??????????????
http://access.gale.com/newstrial/

Robert

Robert Report 1 Nov 2008 21:28

Thanks very much for that - a dodgy e mail opened by my daughter wiped a lot of my desktop info.

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Nov 2008 21:58

Robert
I have used before but your enquiry prompted me to have another look.
So thanks very much have found four new records, so far.

Haydn

Haydn Report 1 Nov 2008 22:08

thanks for the link, is there a link for 20th century papers?

LD

LD Report 1 Nov 2008 22:11

You will see a link on the Gale website which says change database. That allows you to view pre 1800 newspapers.

Haydn

Haydn Report 2 Nov 2008 13:49

thanks for that I havent got that far back yet!!! but will use it when I do

susiwong

susiwong Report 2 Nov 2008 15:20

thanks for the info, will it give info on 1930's newspapers? am trying to find info on my gr grandmothers death.
Sue

Thelma

Thelma Report 2 Nov 2008 15:48

No newspaper less than 100 years old was digitised for access by UK Higher Education and Further Education communities to avoid copyright issues, and BL policy is to proceed only with the agreement of rights holders and their representatives. Owners of titles still publishing may be digitising or have plans to digitise their back runs and it would not make economic sense to duplicate their efforts. The academic panel at the core of the project that steered the selection of newspapers decided to assess the value of all of the titles from the original list from the perspective of potential usage by the Higher Education and Further Education communities.

Haydn

Haydn Report 2 Nov 2008 15:52

thank you for the information