Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FIXING A MISTAKE ON YOUR GR TREE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brit

Brit Report 1 Nov 2008 22:41

I have inadvertently put in an extra "wife" to someone on my tree, and although I haven't put in any details on this person, not even a name (it shows as Mother) I am not being allowed to delete it. GR says you can't delete a relative that is related to others on your tree.

Is there any way to get around this? Thanks for helping.

Julie

Julie Report 1 Nov 2008 23:04

Brit

I think cos of where you had added it the only way is to get in touch with GR and ask them to do it.....the only other way is to start with the youngest person in that line and delete working your way up

Julie

Fran

Fran Report 1 Nov 2008 23:05

Brit

That is so easy to do and so frustrating, I did it a few times. Once you've added more than one relation its a case of deleting and re-entering!

well, thats what i found anyway

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 1 Nov 2008 23:06

Are there children attached to "Mother"? If so you will need to delete the person in your tree with the "wife's name" & change "Mother" into wife

Brit

Brit Report 2 Nov 2008 00:56

Hi Thanks all for your help. I think I am reduced to asking GR to remove it as I have tried everything else. Thanks for your input. rgds Brit

Thelma

Thelma Report 2 Nov 2008 10:56

Click on the unwanted mother
If she is only connected to the man you can delete
If children are showing you cannot
click on each child in turn
go to edit tools
change to correct mother

Irene

Irene Report 2 Nov 2008 11:29

I just tried to delete a wife that somehow was recorded twice in my tree - I could not delete it so I just changed her name to some other christian name on one of the entries and then deleted her. It worked. Irene