Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Asplin Military History Site - Where has it gone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maurice

Maurice Report 2 Nov 2008 00:35

I have just tried to do a look up on Kevin Asplin's Military history site, one of the best on the web - It has GONE,
There is a notice from AOL in it's place saying that they have shut the site down.
This is a disaster for us all - can anyone in touch with Kevin find out what has happened?

Maurice

Brit

Brit Report 2 Nov 2008 00:47

Hi tried this and was able to get on

http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/intro.html but couldn't get onto the other site, as you say AOL say they have shut it down

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 2 Nov 2008 03:45

AOL has shut down the part of its site where Kevin's site was hosted.

I imagine Kevin will sort out a new site sooner or later, but in the meantime you can access a previous version of his site through the Wayback Machine:

http://tinyurl.com/65ux6e

Maurice

Maurice Report 2 Nov 2008 12:27

Thank you both for all that information, I only hope the site is saved for the future.

Maurice

Maurice

Maurice Report 2 Nov 2008 14:02

I Have now been in touch with Kevin, he has kindly cleared the following statement:Maurice,

Thank you for your email.. AOL had problems with attacks of malware & spam from the Homepage domains, to the effect that google for a time saw the whole set up as spam. They have thus shut it down as of yesterday, but also locked the editing from earlier in the month to stop people creating new pages.. or as in my case.. warning of it's closure. A friend of mine has moved the content to his page at:-
http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/intro.html
.. where because of having more space I was actually able to add more data!

Kevin
Such is the dedication of this man, great news you will agree.

Maurice Nunn

susiwong

susiwong Report 2 Nov 2008 15:17

that's great news, was looking for it myself,
thanks
Sue

Maurice

Maurice Report 3 Nov 2008 02:43

Sue,
I think it may take a while for Kevin to transfer information from the old site, but at least we will be able to access it.
Maurice

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 3 Nov 2008 03:01

The new site looks a lot better than the old one to me, and seems to contain more information, not less.

Heather

Heather Report 3 Nov 2008 15:26

Kevin is a star.