Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FREEREG & FREECEN

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 2 Nov 2008 10:27

Hi,

I know that the above sites aren't as well known as FREEBMD, but for those who don't check them regulary, they have all been updated in the last couple of weeks.

They are all also looking for transcribers if anybody has any spare time. I transcribe for FREEBMD and it is really easy!

You can do as much or as little as you like and it will help no end of family historians in the future!

Thanks

Vicky X

Heather

Heather Report 2 Nov 2008 12:26

I have found freereg to be a wonderful resource for Norfolk parish records.

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 2 Nov 2008 21:22

n

Stephen

Stephen Report 3 Nov 2008 22:15

nudge

meindoors

meindoors Report 3 Nov 2008 22:19

n

Judy

Judy Report 4 Nov 2008 07:47

Sorry to butt into your thread, Vicky, but another great site looking for transribers is the LDS site at www.familysearch.com. I've used this site for years and got a lot of great info from it but only recently realized, through a friend, there is a whole new section to the site. If the new area of the site is not pointed out to you, you miss it completely!

On the home page (website address above) under WHAT'S NEW, those wishing to help transcribe can click on HELP CREATE FREE PUBLIC ACCESS TO US CENSUS INDEXES AND MORE. It is not all US based. A lot of it has to do with the UK. I was able to choose what area I wanted to transcribe...of course I chose areas my kin were from in hopes of finding more twigs for my tree.

The best find in the new section of this site, also under WHAT'S NEW...if you click on SEE NEW PROTYPE FOR SEARCHING MILLIONS OF RECORDS there are millions of new FREE copies of documents that can be obtained here. I have not only obtained free copies of death, birth and marriages certificates here, but I have found information I was unable to find on relatives I have been searching for, for over 20 years! I also, literally, was able to add over two dozen ancestors I didn't know exhisted because they were born and died between census years. (Seach by surname only....I found this an invaluable tip in finding those lost relatives.)

All of the US documents, in my personal research, I have been able to recieve free of charge. I have come across, though, a fee charged for some of the UK documents I wanted - but not all of them. I believe that is because certain sites have some kind of "rights" to certain documents and the LDS site can only referance those documents sending you to the "pay for' site. Documents transcribed by volunteers, though, through the LDS site, will remain free of charge for all.

At any rate, whether looking to volunteer, or looking for ancestors, the new section of this site is worth taking a look at.

Judy

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 4 Nov 2008 14:45

No problem Judy!

If we all work together to transcribe records which anyone can access for free, it will save everyone alot of time and money in the future!

Vicky X

(-: Carole & Tony ;-)

(-: Carole & Tony ;-) Report 4 Nov 2008 15:40

thanks for the tip Judy have just signed for site and going to try it later

Alistair

Alistair Report 4 Nov 2008 19:05

FreeCen has a good coverage of Scotland.

Alistair

Linda G

Linda G Report 5 Nov 2008 08:21

Hi Judy

Amazing..I have just checked your suggestions on LDS site and have found several of my relatives marriages. (I already have the certificates so I know it's the correct information, it even gives the fathers name) and believe I have found my GGGrandfathers baptism.

I shall be playing there all day lol.

Thanks a lot

Linda

Judy

Judy Report 5 Nov 2008 09:12

Isn't it exciting, Linda, when you come across a new bit of info to add to your tree? I still get an adrenaline rush every time!

A tip that helped me (that I also posted on a thread I started) that you might find helpful:

Sometimes too much information hinders your search. I have found by searching by surname only, leaving out dates and areas, I have been able to find ancestors in unexpected areas as well as unexpected connections. For instance, looking for Leopold Ferdinand Cosky, my great grandfather, by entering just Cosky, with no other information entered, I came up with his name on a passenger's list (when he abandoned his family in the early 1900's) on his way to Australia....his name on the records was L. F. Cosky. That never came up with a full name search...so at least we know when and where he went when he left his pregnant wife with 7 kids! A nice unexpected find for me on the LDS site!

Good luck in your search for family!

Judy