Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

scottish marriage 1950s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 2 Nov 2008 10:42

Please could someone tell me how to find one as ive never done that one before and scotlands people wont have it although they will have thier births i hope,think its most likely on the isle of skye that ill be searching.
just registered ready to go into action
thanks
vivienne

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 2 Nov 2008 11:12

Hi Vivienne,

If any of the children were born in Scotland then you should search Scotlands People for the birth of the child, births on SP go up to 2006 but you would have to order the birth certificate. Scottish births give you the date and place of the parents marriage.

Betty

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 2 Nov 2008 11:15

To my knowledge, you can't get marriage info online for after 1932.

Try looking out for someone offering to do lookups in Edinburgh or perhaps a short holiday!

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 2 Nov 2008 12:13

Thank you both
I have found the birth of the bride reg in greenock east 1926 and ordered the cert,hope i havent wasted £10 but there was only one of her name to choose from that came up but now i cant find the groom and dont know where to go from here
albert edward mcqueen about 1926 anywhere in the uk not to be found.
this is for a friends daughter in laws present for xmas so trying really hard to get what i can by then and as she lives in a place that doesnt get broadband said id give it a go
so can we find albert edward at all please?
thanks millions
vivienne
ps claire.just got back from ireland so holiday to scotland is off the menu for now but next year i hope.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 2 Nov 2008 12:25

Hi Vivienne,

Maybe he wasn't born in Scotland thats why I suggested you get one of the childrens birth certificate it would tell you when and where the parents married.
But then he could have been born in England or Ireland.

Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 2 Nov 2008 12:42

Could his middle name be Ernest instead of Edward?

1 birth only!!

No Year Surname Forename Sex District City/County/MR GROS Data Image Extract
1 1920 MCQUEEN ALBERT ERNEST M LEITH SOUTH EDINBURGH/MIDLOTHIAN 692/02 0111 No Image ORDER

Betty

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 2 Nov 2008 12:46

hi betty
i have his sons b.c and he was born in durham 1955 so im sure of his parents and now ive for sure got his mothers birth [florence edith ross spowart 1926]and her parents marriage [florence edith ross to john marsh spowart1925] off scotlands people.how do i print off the marriage that i have up for 1925 please,sorry but im stil rather p.c illiterate.
cant find albert in england or scotland so will have to try ireland or as claire says try for a look up from someone for his marriage to florence.

thanks
vivienne

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 2 Nov 2008 12:50

def says edward on 1955 cert of son but you seem to have got nearer than me
does it have his mothers maiden name ?
sorry never been into scottish records before
vivienne

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 2 Nov 2008 12:51

Hi Vivienne,

You have to download the image, what viewer have you used to look at the image? Have you not viewed the actual image on Scotlands People? Or do you have to order it?

I can't view that birth as I don't have enough credits left.
Betty

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 2 Nov 2008 13:06

betty
i have ordered the 1926 florence birth as there was no image but i have up her parents marriage cert image now,i splashed out on cedits for my friend who will recieve them as her xmas pressie as im the last of the big spenders at £6
so i have to download it?ok off to try that now
thanks
vivienne

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 2 Nov 2008 13:17

Thank you sooo much betty for all the help,I GOT IT FIRST TIME!!
You scots are so lucky to have so much info on your marriage certs and all for just 5/6 credits,beats £7 anyday.
vivienne

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 2 Nov 2008 13:22

I am glad you managed it Vivienne,

Yes the images age great, if only the later BMD's could be downloaded instead of having to order them!!

Betty