Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Got a family tree online, what can i do with it?!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stewart

Stewart Report 2 Nov 2008 14:16

Hi all, I have quite an extensive family tree which i've got on this site, and also lots of other information in the form of census print outs and emails from distant family members. At the moment I'm using Geditcom on a mac (switched from family tree maker on a pc, as I'm a mac user). Unfortunately, a lot of older family members don't use the internet, so I can;t share my tree with them. i want a way to print out all this information from my tree, but not sure what the best way to do it is. Don't have a lot of spare time, and I've already spent hours putting all this information into Family Tree maker. Does anyone have any ideas? I've thought about switching to Reunion for my mac. Does anyone know if there's anything in this program that allows you to print information out? Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers Stewart

Heather

Heather Report 2 Nov 2008 14:25

The only way I know of to share your tree is to print it using the print command on the tree. The last time I printed mine it took 12 A4 sheets and it's grown.
There is a very finicky way of doing it by way of 'PrtScn' key and using Paint programme - if you have Windows. You can then outline, cut and paste into any other application. It is very messy though and you end up with bits of paper stuck to eachother all over the place like a jigsaw!
Try asking GRU for a more sensible solution.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 2 Nov 2008 14:35

If you have it on FTM can't you print it from there?

Or you could transfer it by gedcom to something like PAF (which is free) and print it from that ...

Angela

Angela Report 2 Nov 2008 15:45

I use Reunion for Mac. You can easily print out a tree - it will be on several (or lots) of sheets if it's a big tree and you'll have to stick them together. They look v.g. as each generation is printed in a different colour which make it easy and interesting to read.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 2 Nov 2008 15:48

There's a list here of family tree programs which work with a Mac:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/Genealogy_Applications_and_Packages

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 2 Nov 2008 16:37

Hi Stewart,

I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for or if it works with a mac. Check out The Complete Genealogy Reporter at http://www.tcgr.bufton.org/

Malcolm

Stewart

Stewart Report 3 Nov 2008 08:08

thank you all for your advice. I'll look into your suggestions.