Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Incorrect information given on birth certificate.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Renee

Renee Report 3 Nov 2008 15:13

I've already found that a woman giving birth to an illegitimate child
(1904) gave her surname as that of the father, although no marriage was traced, but it would seem that this same person, on the birth of a second illegitimate child (1906) gave her surname as that of the father (a different one - again no marriage was traced), but also used her own Christian name with an entirely different former surname.

Was it possible to give false information when registering a birth at that time?

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 3 Nov 2008 15:14

Yes............

Heather

Heather Report 3 Nov 2008 15:24

No proof required at all.

Would say, I have found marriages 2 decades after the first child was born, so have a look further on just in case

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Nov 2008 15:51

Grandad's sister born 1885. Surname as great grandad.
Grandad born 1888. Surname as great grandad.

Great grandad and great grandma marry 1893 (with great grandma using her maiden name even though previously married and they have a child from that marriage living with them (who was probably a bridesmaid!). Whereabouts of previous husband unknown.

Websterbfc

Websterbfc Report 3 Nov 2008 17:55

Nan married giving first name as Gladys....which was not her name at at all it was Maud!

Renee

Renee Report 3 Nov 2008 21:03

Thanks to all who replied. I did trace a marriage three years later in Canada, using her birth name, so think she wasn't married to either of the fathers of her two children. Second child went on to be known as the Canadian husband's surname.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 3 Nov 2008 23:14

Several of the birth cetificates and marriage certificates I have found have the wrong names on them.

Betty

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 5 Nov 2008 01:15

A person can call themselves any name they want, it doesn't necessarily have to be done officially by deed poll.

It's not unlawful unless it's for illegal purposes.

My unmarried mother changed her name and I am registered in that name.

It does make searches very difficult.

Cheers Gerry