Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Security System Needed?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Nov 2008 13:54

A friend of mine recently purchased a computer for the 1st time, on looking through it i noticed that no security programmes seem to be installed.
When i mentioned this to him he told me that he had been advised by B.T. who's broadband internet he is using that there is no need for further security.
Having never used this service and always installing all the security i can i am wondering if the facts he has been given can be trusted.
Maureen

Jayne

Jayne Report 4 Nov 2008 14:36

In my experience, BT provides good on-line security with its various broadband packages but its not brilliant at picking up dodgy emails, with possible trojan horses or other virus's attached or embedded.

I use BT but also Norton, however, if general good practice is used regarding NOT opening suspect emails or attachments, it should be ok

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Nov 2008 14:45

Thanks Jayne

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Nov 2008 14:50

Hi Maureen

I don't know what BT provides, but I would recommend your friend to install a security system called "AVAST" home edition. It's free and can be downloaded from the internet.

I used to have NORTON, but found that AVAST gives me the same security, if not better, and it doesn't cost me fortune.

Elaine

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Nov 2008 14:52

As one that once had a virus i have now, in some peoples eyes probably gone over the top, i have always used Norton, i also have Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster installed. I did try AVG, even purchased the fuller version, but i couldnt get on with it, or rather my computer didnt seem to like it so i went back to Norton.
It worried me that this friend is now using the computer to pay all bills etc and yet there was no noticeable Anti-Virus programme on there, but, after what BT had said he doesn't feel the need to use anything else.
Thanks for your comments David. (I intend to print these and forward them on to him!!)

Maureen

Maureen Report 4 Nov 2008 14:55

Thanks Elaine
Funny isnt it - we all seem to have our favourites, i have never heard of "AVAST".
My concern is that he is using nothing
Maureen

Alan

Alan Report 4 Nov 2008 16:09

Maureen..................I use BTinternet and it comes with Norton Anti-virus. Check All Programmes to see if it's there.

Judy

Judy Report 5 Nov 2008 06:16

Hi Maureen:

I hope this note finds you well.....Your friend should have virus protection independent of his ISP's. There are a few free ones that can be obtained on the Internet and they are better than being unprotected but I recommend Norton or McAfee which need to be purchased - they provide protection against spyware as well as viruses....two different animals - spyware can be just as damaging as a virus in some instances and your PC should be protected against both.

((There are lots of excellent programs out there for protection...Norton and McAfee, in my opinion and from experience, are on the top 10 list, though.)

Two free programs that I recommend to clients, until an anti-virus / spyware program can be purchased are:

AVG which is an anti-virus program can be obtained here:

http://free.avg.com/

There is a free version of the program offered which provides minimum anti-virus protection as well as a "pay for" version of the program which offers full internet protection (which would include both anti-virus and spyware protection.)

An excellent free spyware protection program is Lavasoft's AD-AWARE which can be obtained here:

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

They, too offer a "pay for" version of the program which isn't necessary if you have a good anti-virus / spyware protection program like Norton or McAffee.

The two free programs I mentioned are good programs but they don't compare to the purchased programs on the market....there is a reason they are free....but they are better than being unprotected. Both programs above need to be updated manually by the user so it's important to remember to do that chore. While AVG runs in the background doing its job once updated, Ad-Aware you have to activate by running a scan...something that should be done at least once a week if your on the Internet a lot.

Judy (In the States)