Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I fill the gap ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dumpling

Dumpling Report 4 Nov 2008 23:53

I have found my family tree back to a marriage in Devon 1694 on the Gen uk site .There is also a record from1585 with father and grandfather on the Family Search site of the Church of the latter day saints but I cannot find a record to join the two can any one give me some advise please.

Kate

Kate Report 5 Nov 2008 00:16

If you can, I would try to get to the original church records if possible (or see if someone will visit the local records office there) to verify it.

Is the marriage you found on Family Search an ""extracted" or "submitted" record and how detailed are the dates? Sometimes if it's submitted you can tell if it's guesswork because the dates are, for instance, down as "about 1585".

But if the 1585 record is from the same church as the 1694, the original records could be helpful - they might have a christening for one or both of the couple who married in 1694 somewhere in there which could give you a lead backwards.