Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Medals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

redhotmama

redhotmama Report 5 Nov 2008 10:45

Does anyone know if it is possible to find out if war medals were claimed at the end of WW1 and if not is it possible to apply for them retrospectively.
Two of my uncles were kia and no-one in the family can remember seeing their medals.
If they were issued and have just been lost is it possible to get replacements.
All suggestions greatly appreciated
Sue

Ingrid in Oz

Ingrid in Oz Report 5 Nov 2008 10:51

If you can find their records it might tell you when the medals were issued and to whom they were sent, as they nearly always sent back personal belongings to familys.
My great uncles medals and things were given to his mother. All correspondence between War Office and Family was in his records.Though I am talking Australian Army.
In Aus we can get replicas made, they are larger than originals.
Hope this helps