Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bogus names on GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Nov 2008 12:10

Go to home page and do a name search for.
Micky Mouse
Minnie Mouse.
Donald Duck.
Daffy Duck
Peter Pan Thats only the ones I tried.
Thats what happens when people are allowed to add trees for free. Why hasnt GR deleted these I wonder?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Nov 2008 13:07

I am sure the reasoning behind it is that we hear so often that people ask to see someone's tree and then copy it completely and transfer it on to their tree without checking to see if it really does tie in - some seem to do it to make their tree as large as possible. We had a discussion on this the other day on one of the boards and it was suggested that to put people off doing it - add some fictitious names and see if they notice!!! Mickey Mouse was one that I suggested and others gave similar names so that's what it could be

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Nov 2008 13:08

just wondering if Osama Bin Laden is in anyone's tree!!!! He probably is

Michelle

Michelle Report 5 Nov 2008 13:22

Hi

Ive heard about this busines of people "stealing" trees. I just don't get it - why would people want to do that? Am I missing something? If they steal the information, the relatives are not theirs....so what are they gaining?

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 5 Nov 2008 14:07

We had a game on chat a few months back, trying to find odd names on search trees, Father christmas, Olive Oil and various other very rude names came up. These seem to have been from early members trees who were just messing around amd just gave up looking as none of them replied.
As to getting GR to remove the obscene ones they don't seem to be bothered.
I have nudged ." Own up ............who. "thread on chat board for Bogus names

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Nov 2008 15:01

me too Frances - mine is less than 200 and I really don't intend adding many more

Alistair

Alistair Report 5 Nov 2008 19:06

The problem with adding other people's trees to your own, is that they are then "frozen in time". If I make a correction to my tree, then anyone who has previously added my data will still have the incorrect version.

This can confuse other researchers.

Alistair