Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Reference Numbers at LDS Heritage Centres

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 5 Nov 2008 12:34

Hi, I was told that some LDS Heritage Centres have Irish Parish Records to view or to order on microfilm. As I was looking to find out more information on my Great Grandparents who were born in Ireland I thought I would look into this. I found my nearest centre was about 20 miles away and gave them a ring last month. After talking to a very nice lady I was on the understanding that for 15p each I could order microfilm of the county/counties parish(s) I wanted. All I have to do was come in, tell them what counties I wanted to order and they would let me know when they were in, depending on demand, to view at the centre. Simply I thought.

So this week I drag my friend along to the Romford Heritage Centre, around trip of about 40 miles to order the microfilm. On arriving at the centre the first thing I was asked “have you got a number”, not knowing the number they asked for the names of my Gt Grandparents and check some of their records for this number but with no luck. Although they tried to be helpful the only advice they could give me was to go to their Hyde Park Centre in London.

If anyone can tell me where to search for these number I would very much appreciated it. The counties I am interested in are….

Tipperary
Limerick
Kerry
Cork

Sylvia

Potty

Potty Report 5 Nov 2008 12:52

Sylvia

I think the number they are referring to is the IGI batch number. You would first need to search the IGI (on familysearch site) to find relatives and the batch numbers of the records. This is possibly what they tried to do for you.

The LDS do not have all parish records for Ireland. If you go to this site:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#PageTitle

you can see what records they have for each county. For example they only have records for 4 parishes in Tipperary.

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 5 Nov 2008 13:05

Hi Potty,

Thanks for the information, yes the only information they could find on my Gt Grandparents was on the English 1881 Census, which I already had and was no help with the Irish side.

I will have a look at the website you recommended now, many thanks for that.

Sylvia

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 6 Nov 2008 19:56

n..

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Nov 2008 02:05

No what they want is the film # of the film you're ordering. Go to the IGI search site, and click on Library - Library catalogue in the blue bar at top, then enter the place you're interested in. E.g., for a marr at St Johns, Waterford, Co Waterford, enter Waterford, Waterford, select church records, then Kelly's extracts, then click on the View Film Notes button at top right, and see:
St John's marriages, 1714-1894; baptisms 1707-1890 FHL BRITISH Film 100158 Item 8
So you want film # 100158

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 7 Nov 2008 12:14

Thanks mgnv I will give that a go.

You would of thought that the Heritage Centre could of told me that instead of telling me to go all the way to the Hyde Park Centre for information.

Sylvia