Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ownership of Graves

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vikki

Vikki Report 5 Nov 2008 15:04

Hi, wonder if anyone might have some advice. I have just discovered a family plot in our local cememtry is still registered to someone who has also died. The main problem I have with this is the person in question isn't a blood relative to the family buried in the plot. In the plot is husband, wife and their daughter. The owner of the plot was the daughters husband (who btw is not buried in the plot). The daughter and the husband did not have any children. When I asked the council who would now be the owner, they said the N.O.K or executer of the will.
This is where my goat gets up.... The husband who is still registered as the owner of the plot was married before and had children, so is more than likely they will be his next of kin and have ownership rights to a family plot which has nothing to do with their family!

So my questions are:
If I can find any next of kin how would I go about trying to transfer the ownership back into our family? and would it even be worth me doing it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Nov 2008 15:35

Vikki
My friend had a very similar situation.
The outcome was that she found the next of kin and he signed to say that she could have rights tranfered to her.
The grave was her late mother's.
In time her father remarried and died without making a will, so the rights to the grave, being part of his estate, were passed on to his 2nd wife and on her death to her son from an earlier marriage. My friend wanted to be able to bury her disabled brother with their mother and this she was able to do.

Gwyn

Vikki

Vikki Report 6 Nov 2008 00:12

Many thanks for your responses. I think I am going to try and find the NOK and wills for the owner and his wife and see how I go from there!