Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption - how recorded?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melanie

Melanie Report 5 Nov 2008 17:01

Hi,
Can anyone help. A member of my family was registered at birth by his mother and then subsequently adopted.
I have since ordered a copy of his certificate - which arrived today.
Basically it has his adopted (surname) name on and his birth mothers name and address and a mans name and address - both in the mothers section. His mother was not married at the time.
My question is are the records amended/added to after adoption/- the certificate has 'adopted' written on the side.

And could the mans name be his father??
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie Report 5 Nov 2008 17:09

Also after her surname or under his first name it says 'a Saunders'. does the a mean and or aka?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Nov 2008 17:11

I'm puzzled about the surname... You say that's his adopted name?
Having a man and woman's name suggests they both went to register the child and were probably the parents.

Was the child adopted within the family?
Was this UK?

Gwyn

Jayne

Jayne Report 5 Nov 2008 17:13

A birth cert can be amended after initial registration, but it would be noted on the right hand side.

For example, one of my relatives was given the wrong month of birth by the registrar and it wasnt discovered until they went to school and birth cert was examined..it was amended.

The man listed is very likely to be the father - A will be an initial (also known as) is written out in full, also, formerly, if the mother has been married before etc etc

PM me if I can help further

Melanie

Melanie Report 5 Nov 2008 17:16

Yeah he was adopted within the family by his auntie and uncle and was given his aunties married surname. This is what is ont the certificate. however a found him under his mothers name in the Birth registry and I ordered the certificate using that.

And it was in the UK.

The adopted bit is on the right hand side.

Does this make any difference?

Melanie

Melanie

Melanie Report 5 Nov 2008 17:17

Ps. Thanks for your quick responses

Jayne

Jayne Report 5 Nov 2008 17:18

Looks like you have the original birth record before adoption with all the relevant details.

Melanie

Melanie Report 5 Nov 2008 17:19

Also the a is a little a and it seems to be between the two names. However I am 100% sure that the mans name is fully on the cerittifcate. As I cant tell if it says james or janes and the mothers middle name is jane.

Melanie

Melanie Report 5 Nov 2008 17:20

not 100%!

Melanie

Melanie Report 5 Nov 2008 17:22

Sorry - does anyone know if it is worth going into the registry office to check - will they tell me anything?

Jayne

Jayne Report 5 Nov 2008 17:23

Have sent you a PM

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 6 Nov 2008 02:47

Children are registered in their mothers surname in the live birth register. It may or may not show the fathers name, however, this is in another column.

After an adoption has been granted in the court the child is then placed on the Adopted Children Register (ACR) in their adoptive name. The original birth certificate is amended to show the word 'Adopted'.

The INDEX to the ACR is available for public view at Greater Manchester County Record Office

Birmingham Central Library

Bridgend Reference and Information Library

Plymouth Central Library

City of Westminster Archives Centre

You can order the Adoption Certificate online on the GRO website with the reference given in the ACR.

This one has got me stumped or else I haven't understood your posts as only the mothers name should appear in the mothers column. Maybe the mother changed her name and a re registration took place. Usually when that happens the original is superseded and GRO only issue the newer certificate.

I will pm you part of an email GRO sent to me explaining about the laws of Corrections and Re registrations.

Hope it helps.

Cheers Gerry

Melanie

Melanie Report 6 Nov 2008 10:09

Cheers Gerry,

After much help from Jayne I realised that there was not indeed a fathers name in the mothers column. I was actually reading A Launderess as A Saunders - Doh!

But thank you very much for your interest and help.

Maybe I should invest in some reading glasses!

Melanie

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 6 Nov 2008 10:27

No worries Melanie :-)

Glad you sorted it out.

Cheers Gerry