Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

KIRK SESSIONS for Doune Stirlingshire.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 6 Nov 2008 11:38

Hi All :-)

This message is a tad long winded [apologies] - but if there is anyone out there who may be able to help me I would be ever so grateful :-)

I have lodged previous postings regarding these members of my family in the past. During the last few weeks more information has been gained from a closer look at the Scottish Census. My interest is access to the Kirk Sessions for illegitimate births for the parish of Doune Stirlingshire - Kilmadock for the 1830's to be more precise.

My 2 times great grandmother was Janet Campbell b:c1833 in Doune Stirlingshire. Her mother was Janet Cameron b:c1806 in Doune Stirlingshire - I am trying to place Janet Campbell's birth-baptismal records.

My interest for Kilmadock Doune is that on Janet Campbell's death certificate of 1871 it has written that her father is reputed to be James Campbell - Joiner Journeyman 'deceased'.

In the 1841 & 1851 census taking for Kilmadock Doune I found a James Campbell married to Christian McLaren [they married in 1837 Kilmadock] - but this James was a Joiner Journeyman by chance [a bit to good to ignore so I ventured a bit further]. Now I know near on 175 years after the fact I may be going of into a big tangent - but it is the closest I have gotten in my search for Janet's real father.

I have gained this James Campbell death details from 1857 - After cross referencing and researching more he has turned out to be bap:1802 in Killin - Son of John Campbell - Farmer & Catherine McNicol - both 'deceased'.

That is it in a nut shell.

Is there a Kirk Session [or equvalent to one] for this parish for this part of the 1830's - Big call I know - but it's better to ask than it remain a question mark ~ Anyone out there able to illuminate me where I may be able to find it - if it at all exists???

Cheers ~ Steve Campbell ;-)

Potty

Potty Report 6 Nov 2008 13:08

I would think that the originals would either be in the Scottish National Archives or the Church of Scotland archives. Try Googling!

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 6 Nov 2008 17:19

According to the FamilySearch.org site's information about Kilmadock

Quote:

"Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:

Minutes 1652–1685, 1704–1706, 1734–1935
Accounts 1722–1731, 1809–1825
Book of Penalties, Payments to Poor 1623–1648, 1716–1732
Note: Available at the Stirling Council Archives, Stirling, Scotland, record CH2/212. "

Gillian

Steve

Steve Report 6 Nov 2008 23:01

Hi Potty & JustGillian :-)

Apologies for my delayed response. A thunderstorm put an end to my computer activities shortly after posting my message.

Thank you both for your suggestions & indeed a big thank you Gillian for the Familysearch information regarding Kilmadock and there Kirk Sessions. As I live far across the seas from Scotland I will need to write to [email - or other] the Stirlingshire Offices and see where this may lead - hopefully this will bear fruit some where down the line [?] - nothing ventured as they say ;-)

Again a big thank you to you both :-)

Cheers ~ Steve Campbell.

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 7 Nov 2008 00:25

Steve,

You've probably found the Stirling site by now by googling, but, if not -

http://www.stirling.gov.uk/index/accessinformation/archives.htm

Their research charge, including postage and some copies, seems to be £20 per hour.

Gillian

Steve

Steve Report 7 Nov 2008 00:53

Hi Gillian :-)

Yes I had found the site by googling - but hadn't looked to close to there monetary charges [didn't want to shock my system so early in the morning LOL]. Ye~gads 20 pounds per hour - or near double in conversion where I live. As per usual nothing comes cheap in finding family of yester year. I still have a fair bit of sorting out my notes ready to email them in the not to distant future.

Big Ta Gillian - most appreciated.

Now where is that full to overflowing money tree I had growing in the back garden?? ;-)

Cheers ~Steve Campbell.

Potty

Potty Report 7 Nov 2008 11:12

Steve

I googled yesterday for Kirk Session records and a Church of Scotland site came up which seemed to be saying that the records were being transcribed last year. It seems that they will be available (probably through Scotlandspeople) late next year.

http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/contact/contactarchives.htm

Follow the links to http://www.scottishdocuments.com/
then "digitisation programme"
then "online access to church records ."

If your ancestors came from Skye, save up and come for a visit. It is a very beautiful place. Next year is Scotland's "Year of the Homecoming" and there will be lots of events for the descendants of Scots from all over the world.

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 7 Nov 2008 12:42

Potty - thanks for that!

I've bookmarked it and will keep my fingers crossed that it proves viable. There are some Buchanan Kirk Sessions I'd love to see but can't justify the £20 per hour as it's for an offshoot.

Gillian

Steve

Steve Report 8 Nov 2008 13:24

Hi Potty & Gillian :-)

Thank you both again for your help regarding finding the KIRK'S SESSIONS for me ;-)

I am most happy to read that sometime next year the digitized images will be available for viewing on Scotlandspeople.

It is excellent timing as it will give me more of a chance to add extra research on the descendant branches of Janet Campbell. But I am champing at the bit to have a look to see if there may be birth/bap record for her??? - crossing my fingers as well.

Having the advantage to be able to do it myself will also allay [hopefully] the alternative in requiring another to do the research on my behalf. Finding the required 20 pound [and conversion equivalent] cash per hour would put a large dent my wallet.

Potty ~ One of these days I will hopefully get to visit many of the places my ancestors lived in Scotland. My main Scottish link left for England and onto farther shores in the early 20th Century. My 4 times Paternal Grandfather appears to have been born in Skye. His death details of 1863 at the age of Abt 83 has written 'Parents Unknown' - and there is the full s t o p ~ Sigh.

Cheers & Thanks again - Steve Campbell.