Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help - Finding deaths in World War 1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 6 Nov 2008 23:58

Hi can anyone give me any information. I have a William Hall from Cornwall in my tree born 1885 he married in 1906 and had children in 1906,1907 and 1913, his wife remarried in 1922 - so I presume he had died by this time. - I cannot find a record of his death in the BMI so I am now wondering if he might have been killed in the first world war, there is no family history so can anyone tell me how I would go about trying to find this out and any websites with records of 1st world war deaths

Any info would be greatfully received
Elaine

BeckyS

BeckyS Report 7 Nov 2008 00:04

Hi Elaine

Have just done a quick search on here and there are pages and pages of William Hall's who died in WW1 do you know what he did during the war, army navy or regiment and also his middle name may help.

Becs

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 Nov 2008 00:10

Thanks Becks but don't know anything about him only that he came from Redruth or Camborne in Cornwall born 1885 and his wife and children's names - he may possible have been William Henry

Heather

Heather Report 7 Nov 2008 00:12

Have you checked the CWGC? Just google it or copy the following:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/SearchResults.aspx?surname=hALL&initials=w&war=1&yearfrom=1914&yearto=1921&force=&nationality=6&send.x=49&send.y=15

Common name, you will have to go through each result - to check for wife/family details given.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Nov 2008 00:12

Have you looked on the Commonwealth War Graves site for a death?

What was his wife called? There are quite a lot of William Halls.

Kath. x

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 Nov 2008 00:16

Thanks Kath
No I haven't but will try that - his wife was named Augusta - not a common name
Elaine

Heather

Heather Report 7 Nov 2008 00:16

See the link in my thread above

Elaine

Elaine Report 7 Nov 2008 00:37

Thank You