Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry wiped my family tree!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 7 Nov 2008 02:27

Hi
I have been working really hard at getting my family tree together on the ancestry site. I went in today and found that one half had seemingly been wiped out!

This happened when I first started and I thought it was me. I built it all up again and then it has happened again.

Can anyone enlighten me? I am so disilusioned! Days and days of work down the drain!

Pat

Carol

Carol Report 7 Nov 2008 06:51

I have been with Ancestry for nearly 5 years and have numerous trees and that has never happened to me, unless I deleted them myself by accident
Regards Carol

Judy

Judy Report 7 Nov 2008 07:58

Sorry to hear of the loss of all that hard work, Pat. It can't be stressed enough to always keep a back up of your tree and never depend on a site to keep if for you as you never know when the site could either have it's own problems or go out of business leaving without your tree. There are several good, free, family tree programs out there that allow you to build your tree on your PC, back it up off on a disk and then you can save it on an internet site.

I use several programs, both free and paid for, and the info from each program I use can be uploaded from one to the other as I like the different type reports I can generate from each program.

In addition to backing up on a disk here at the house,one of the programs I use, Genopro (which has a free version as well as a paid version with more features) has an online backup feature and on occasion, as my tree grows, I send a physical copy of my tree, on disk, to the Philadelphia National Archives which will preserve my tree for future generations who are doing research. Of course, there are many family members who have copies, too....no chance of losing my tree! LOL. I've been researching my tree for 20 years and would be sick if I were to lose it!

Judy

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 7 Nov 2008 10:09

I agree with Judy. I've started putting my tree onto some software from My Heritage which works almost in the same was as Genes does, so it'll find you matches and things. But the tree is not online, it's on software on your PC and it makes it very easy to print off as well. So that's one that I can recommend.

Thanks

Tasha

Patricia

Patricia Report 7 Nov 2008 13:48

Thank you all so much!

It is not the whole tree, just the bit that goes back the longest!

I will take all your advice.
Phone Ancestry and get some software to back up to.

Thanks again.

Pat