Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which Sarah is it??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brit

Brit Report 7 Nov 2008 02:48

I am looking for the birth of Walter Edwards, my great grandfather, 1855 Hoxton. I have the birth cert. for his sister Selena and it shows her mother as a Sarah Spence, yet I have a marriage cert for his father William to a Sarah Hodges. Perhaps Sarah Hodges was a first wife, but I cannot find any other reference to Sarah Spence, nor can I find the death of Sarah Hodges/Edwards. The names are just too common. I cannot find the birth of Walter on any of the usual sources.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks. Brit

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 7 Nov 2008 03:52

Isn't one of these his birth?:

Births Jun 1855
Edwards Walter Shoreditch 1c 120

Births Sep 1855
Edwards Walter Shoreditch 1c 190

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 7 Nov 2008 03:59

On the 1861 census, Sarah is shown as 33 years old (ie. born c1828). However, the marriage of William to Sarah Hodges seems to have been in 1840:

Marriages Dec 1840
EDWARDS William E London 2 205
HODGES Sarah E. London 2 205

...which is also on the IGI:
SARAH HODGES
Spouse: WILLIAM EDWARDS
Marriage: 26 DEC 1840 Saint Giles Cripplegate, London

... if that is the right marriage then Sarah would have been only 13 years old at the time! Legally possible but I would say it's more likely that Sarah in the 1861 census is a second wife to William (i.e. she is Sarah Spence, not Sarah Hodges).

The other possibility is that you simply have the wrong marriage cert - i.e. it is not your William & Sarah. What was William's occupation on the marriage cert that you have? On the census, your William was a watchmaker/jeweller.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 7 Nov 2008 05:00

Possible deaths for William & Sarah, based on when they disappeared from the censuses:

Deaths Jun 1884
Edwards William 66 Shoreditch 1c 83

Deaths Sep 1896
Edwards Sarah 71 Shoreditch 1c 35

Brit

Brit Report 7 Nov 2008 10:32

Hi Richard. Thanks for that. I don't know why I didn't find Walter in Shoreditch! Looking only for Hoxton I suppose. I will send for the cert and that will give me his mother .
Yes, William was a watchmaker (on the marriage cert he is shown as a brace spring maker, which I have been told was part of the watch making trade )and his sons, including Walter, all worked in that field for awhile.
I didn't do the math on Sarah 1861. That makes sense. No record of a Sarah Spence and a William Edwards marriage that I can find as yet. Could it be that she was a widow when they married? I have found a Sarah Spence marrying an Edward Harris and then a Sarah Harris marrying a William Edwards. I suppose the only way to find that out would be to send for the marriage cert.

Thanks for your help Richard. Brit