Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cemetery Wanted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 7 Nov 2008 19:34

I'm in a bit of a pickle.......

I have a copy of a card that has the date of burial and grave number of my great grandmother but there's no indication of what cemetery.

Rumour has it that they lived around Croydon when she died, but I have contacted a number of cemeteries in the area with no luck.

I'm hoping someone out there can help me or can at least point me in the right direction.

The details are as follows;

NAME: May Eliza Foley

DATE OF BURIAL: 21 July 1952

No. OF GRAVE: XA 389

Thanks
gypsy-joe

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 7 Nov 2008 19:47

Hi Gypsy-Joe

Have found what looks like the death in jan-mar 1952. May E Foley - Surrey N.E vol 5g page 690. age 77.

sorry i know it doesn't halp to know the cemetery. but perhaps if you have the cert it will give an address for her so could work out the closest one?

sorry not to have been of more help.
Leanne.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 7 Nov 2008 19:54

No; thank you that is alot of help as I haven't been able to find her death certificate or her husbands.

He apparently died within or about a year later than her as far as I know.

His name was Patrick George Foley although I think he also may have had the name Stewart in the middle there too.

gypsy-joe

:) still smiling :) Report 7 Nov 2008 20:07

Hi Gypsy-Joe,

I have had a quick look for you. there are a few patrick foleys in that time period. the one that stands out would be Patrick Foley- Jan-Mar 1953 in Surrey N.E vol 5g page 861 aged 83. there are others and he has no middle initials listed but he is the only one within a year or so that also died in surrey N.E so it seems likely to be him.

Leanne.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 7 Nov 2008 20:13

Thanks again for that Leanne,

I'm sure they'd be the right ones as they pretty much match the ages they would have been.

Great job

Though I do wonder, since I know that may was buried in July do you really think they would have left it that long before they buried her?

She was supposed to have died as a result of a fire so I guess the enquiry could have taken that long.

I wonder if there is somewhere I could find out that.

gypsy-joe

:) still smiling :) Report 7 Nov 2008 20:19

I did wonder that myself, but perhaps if there was an enquiry it would have taken a while?

i am not certain but i beleive that it should state on the death certificate if there was an enquiry. alternatively you could try the local papers around the time. if it was a fire and an enquiry you may get something in the local news. i live in croydon and we have a very good local studies library, they may be able to help you.

details are on this website: http://www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/archives/lslibrary

you could try emailing them. they are very busy at the moment but i am sure they would be quite helpful.

Leanne.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 7 Nov 2008 20:37

Oh my

I really hit the jackpot with reading this didn't I; you really have made my night thank you.

Thanks for that link, I'll look into it.

Gypsy-joe

:) still smiling :) Report 7 Nov 2008 20:45

it's nice to be the one helping this time! lol.

They aren't open usual hours at the moment due to staff shortage, so it may take them a while but they are usually very happy to help as much as they can. there might be details of the fire or and notice about the burial. If you give them the quarter you beleive she died and the burial date they will only have a small(ish) period to search so it shouldn't be too long winded.

good luck. if i can help with anything in croydon just let me know. am happy to try and help.

Leanne.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 7 Nov 2008 21:05

Will do and thanks again.

Joe

Anne

Anne Report 8 Nov 2008 09:47

One of my rellies died as a child as a result of her clothes catching fire. The death was registered with GRO by the Coroner, the following day. This suggested that there wasn't much of an inquest. Any records of inquests are not held, so only the local papers would give details.

As suggested before, the Death Cert would give you more info eg, when she died, who registered the death and when.

Anne