Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PRINTING DOWNLOADS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 7 Nov 2008 20:39

AS A NOVI CE, I HAVE JUST SPENT AN EVENING USING MY CREDITS TO FIND AND DOWNLOAD FAMILY RECORDS AS SAVED pdf DOCUMENTS. CAN I FIND THEM ?? NO I CAN NOT. PLEASE CAN A WISE AND PATIENT PERSON TELL ME HOW TO DO THIS AND HOW TO PRINT THEM. PROBABLY IN 1-2 SYLLABLE WORDS.
ALSO, I HAVE GIVEN PERMISSION TO VIEW MY TREE TO SOMEONE AND -HAVING VIEWED HIS TREE - THERE IS JUST ONE BOX ON IT CALLED 'LIVING RELATION' . IS THIS ALLOWED, OR SHOULD I REPORT IT TO gu ?? IT SEEMS A BIT ODD TO ME .

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 7 Nov 2008 20:44

Credits for searching records on Genes Reunited website you mean?

Betty

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 7 Nov 2008 20:49

Some members dont have their full tree on GR. I know its frustrating when they ask to view your tree and theirs only has either 1 name or living.
There arnt any rules saying they have to give any details. You only need your own name to start of the tree .

Carol

Carol Report 7 Nov 2008 21:27

YES. I JUST DON'T KNOW THE TECHNOLOGY. I'M JUST WASTING MY TIME AND MONEY IF I CAN'T MAKE IT WORK FOR ME.
PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ?
BETTYBOO I WILL LUV YOU TOO.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 7 Nov 2008 21:32

Hi Carol,

People can lookup and census 1841 to 1901 for you if you post the details of what or who you are seaching.

Betty

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Nov 2008 21:36

Carol,

Can you remember the names of the images you saved - such as 1861 Smith or 1871 Jones etc.

Can you go to START and select SEARCH - to see if you can find them that way.

Or do you have an image viewer such as Irfanview. If yes you can open that programme - select open and then usually have the option to select file type such as PDF

Maureen

Judy

Judy Report 7 Nov 2008 21:41

If I understood corretly, Carol, you download documents to your PC and now you are unable to find them on your PC? You don't mention what version of Windows you have so the following instructions are for XP:

1. Click on Start.

2. Click on SEARCH.

3. A small screen appears, on the left of this screen, from the list, click on ALL FILES AND FOLDERS.

4. Now on the left of the screen you will see a heading that reads SEARCH BY ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA BELOW and then three fields that can be filled in....

A. in the first field type in the name of the file you are looking for. If you don't know the name of the file but you know the type of file it is (you mentioned it being a .pdf file) type in: *.pdf

B. The second field, where it says ALL OR PART OF THE FILE NAME you can leave blank.

C. The field that says LOOK IN should already automatically default to: LOCAL HARD DRIVE C.

5. Click on SEARCH.

The PC will now search for any .pdf files on your PC and will tell you where on your PC they are. Since you probably don't know the name of the .pdf file you downloaded you may have to click open all the results the PC found in order to find what you are looking for. Once found you can move the file to where you want it to be and you can rename it to somthing to your liking.

You should have no problem printing out the documents as you would print it out like any other document you've printed out in the past.

Hope this helped...any questions give me a shout.

Judy