Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cook family missing for 20 years

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mandy

Mandy Report 7 Nov 2008 22:30

Can anybody help please?
Albert Cook born 1846 in Stroud, was living in Rodborough, Gloucester, with his parents George and Eliza, in 1861. In 1891 he was back in Rodborough, widowed and living with his 15 year old son Arthur, who was born in Colchester, Essex.
I can't trace Albert in 1871 or Albert and Arthur in 1881.
I can't trace a marriage for Albert because I don't know the area or his wife's name and I can't trace a birth for Arthur, because there are too many posibilities.
Any clues please?

Mandy

Mandy Report 7 Nov 2008 22:56

Thanks Mick
I'm sure that I've looked at this family before, but originally discounted them because of all the extra children. I will track the names again and see if I can tie it in.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Nov 2008 06:52

Mandy,

I wonder if he joined the army for a while and that's why he's missing. Colchester does have military connections. Still doesn't explain why Arthur's birth is missing though.

Rose

Mandy

Mandy Report 8 Nov 2008 10:41

Thanks Rose
That had occurred to me, because the only other possible Albert Cook I could find in 1881 was a soldier. I think that this Albert enlisted in 1880 and couldn't find a record of an earlier Albert. (This doesn't mean that there wasn't one of course, but ???)
I can't identify the 1881 family (from Mick) in 1871 at all, so I'm no further forward really. The girls could've married or died by 1891, when Albert and Arthur surface, but the possibilities are endless.
I can't think what else to do. Any ideas greatfully received because it's all too hard for me!
Mandy

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 8 Nov 2008 10:58

What is Alberts occupation in 1891?

Mandy

Mandy Report 8 Nov 2008 11:56

Margaret
He was a General Labourer in both 1891 and 1901. In 1861 (aged 15) he was a wool cloth worker, as were his parents.
On Arthur's marriage (1898) he was described as a Gardener.
His brother was a Blacksmith, but Albert has never been described as such (except the possible 1881 one).
Mandy