Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

its only me

its only me Report 9 Nov 2008 09:02

I know ive put this on R.O. But with no joy.

Can anyone please tell me how i can find the service number of a John Coyle b 1923 Durham.

Served in ww2 in the Royal Army Service Corp.

Ive looked on the national archives but i can only find what looks like an american man which i know he was not.

any help would me gratefully apprecated

J

J Report 9 Nov 2008 09:30

You could try sending for his Army Service records.
See this web site for how to send for them.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

its only me

its only me Report 9 Nov 2008 09:33

thank you il give it a try

J

J Report 9 Nov 2008 09:35

You will have to be patient though if you do send for them - it can take them months before they arrive.

its only me

its only me Report 9 Nov 2008 09:36

thanks J.

they say patience is a virtue lol

J

J Report 9 Nov 2008 09:46

Or you could be even more patient and wait to see how long it takes them to put them on ancestry. They are in the middle of doing the WW1 ones now.

I have also known the service no. to be put on marriage certs, but I think that is a rarity.

its only me

its only me Report 9 Nov 2008 09:52

i know when my dad married my mum they just put aircarft fitter as he was in the R.A.F.

Ive just been on the Veterians web site but it doesnt let you view before you buy and its £30. so you could get the wrong persons. But i guess that the chance you take.

Thank you for your help though iam grateful thank you again

J

J Report 9 Nov 2008 09:57

They will search on his date of birth . I dont suppose he has a widow still alive? If he does then it would be free for her. I got my two grandads like that. I also had to provide a copy of their death certs as well.

its only me

its only me Report 9 Nov 2008 10:16

No she died too. ages ago unfortunatley

Heather

Heather Report 9 Nov 2008 11:35

This is the 2nd World war you are talking about - you will not be able to see any records on line. You need to prove you are next of kin and entitled to buy them.

Dont quite follow - you said army but then RAF?