Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any views on Family Historian Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 9 Nov 2008 13:32

I have just downloaded a free trial of Family Historian and am trying to get my head around it. Like the charts and the way of doing things up to now, but does anyone use this and what do they think. At the moment I like it more than dislike it and have got 30 days to decide, any views would be appreciated. Thanks very much, for your help.

Marilyn

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 9 Nov 2008 15:11

Sorry got to go to work now but will check back later as any comments really would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Marilyn

Carol

Carol Report 9 Nov 2008 19:43

It's a British made program and is probably one of the most powerful programs you can buy.

It also has it's own online support group which is watched over by program experts and the program maker, just google for F H U G

Carol
www.genealogyprinters.com

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 9 Nov 2008 21:51

Thanks for replying Carol, I will try that tip.

Marilyn

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 9 Nov 2008 22:50

Thanks Von, I like it more the more I play with it, but the only problem is I cant get my photos to come over from FtM as it only imports as a gedcom and according to OH that doesnt support multimedia.

Thanks again

Marilyn

PS Carol, had a look at that site, it looks very helpful, thanks.

Roy

Roy Report 10 Nov 2008 14:14

Marilyn
I've had the software for a couple of years now and find it suitable for most records and it's easy to navigate.
Regards

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 10 Nov 2008 14:47

Thanks Roy, but does anyone know if I can import my tree from FTM including the pictures. I know you can do it by Gedcom but this doesnt support these. Thanks again

Marilyn

Roy

Roy Report 11 Nov 2008 13:59

Marilyn
I don't the answer but they have a website and helpdesk facaility.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 11 Nov 2008 17:31

Thanks Roy, have had a look and there doesnt seem to be a facility to import pictures from FTM, although I think I may have made my mind up to move from FTM to Family Historian.

Mary

Mary Report 11 Nov 2008 18:41

I have Family Historian. I ordered FTM and after 2 days sent it back and replaced it with FH. I love it, it is exactly what I wanted as I, personally, could not manage without the visual tree. I make sure I back-up regularly though.

Ron

Ron Report 12 Nov 2008 11:33

No family history program will import pictures from a gedcom file because gedcom files do not carry pictures.

Family Historian uses gedcom as it's basic file format but it does have a feature (Working with external links) where if you have pictures in your FH file and you move that file to another computer by gedcom you can import all the pictures back into the program with a few clicks of the mouse which saves having to re-import them all one at a time..

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 12 Nov 2008 15:32

Thanks Mary and Ron, I will check that external link thingy out but I dont really understand it, dont mean to sound dumb but will check with OH later, he has offered to buy me Family Historian for Christmas but dont think I can wait that long, getting to like the programme more every time I mess with the trial.

Yesterday I seemed to understand it all of a sudden and it became easier, copying and pasting pictures and links. Love the query feature and the way you can click to delete or add branches to a tree.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Marilyn