Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

army records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 10 Nov 2008 11:22

Hi can someone please help me who has army death records.
I have a Arthur Gould died in 1st world war
He is on the memorial in Thiepval
and on war graves site
His is
201412 1st / 4th BN Royal Berkshire Regiment died age 20 Aug 1916
son of James and louisa
I went on to find my past site to buy death cert
the only one with Berkshire reg has a diffrent number i thought they keep the same number right though
Any one belong to find my past would they be so kind as to have a look pehaps i am looking wrong place
thanks for your time
Sue

Potty

Potty Report 10 Nov 2008 13:11

The death cert probably won't give you any more info than you already have.

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 10 Nov 2008 14:40

Sue

This may sound insensitive but please don't misunderstand me.

You say that he's on the Thiepval Memorial, so not in a specific named individual grave.
I've come across this previously where a soldier was named on a memorial but with no entry in the GRO army death index. The only explanation I was given was that as no identifiable body was found, but it was recognised that he was dead but his body couldn't be identified - so his name was included on the memorial. Only those soldiers’ bodies that could be identified where given specific graves and entries in the GRO index.

This could be the case with Arthur.

As Potty has already suggested these WW1 death certs are very sparse of information.
MB

Karen

Karen Report 10 Nov 2008 15:01

Hi - my great uncle had two different regimental numbers - although they should be cross referenced on medal rolls, service records, etc.

The death certificate may be of limited assistance - the one I've looked at is simply a list of names with much less information than a normal death cert. However, it will give cause of death - though possibly just 'killed in action'.

The medal rolls, pension & service records on ancestry.co.uk may help - I've found one relative's medal card (died 1917) with the cause of death noted on it. The medal cards may also help narrow down which regimental number belongs to your ancestor or if he was allocated a second number at some point.
Good luck.

Jack

Jack Report 10 Nov 2008 15:41

Sue

The Thiepval memorial only contains the names of soldiers who have no known graves.

Jack